Layer cakes are beautiful but they take a lot of time to make so I make cakes like those on special occasions only. For ordinary days, I like to bake one-layer cake such as this cake..very simple and easy and yet, it gives the same fix when you’re hankering for a coconut cake. 🙂
you know the drill..mix dry ingredients together, the wet ingredients in another bowl; combine
stir in the toasted coconut..and pour in the prepared pan and bake
make the seven-minute frosting while cake is in the oven..
top cake with frosting
sprinkle some toasted desiccated coconut
..and serve! This cake is moist inside and the frosting is not too sweet..yum!
SIMPLE COCONUT CAKE with 7-MINUTE FROSTING
Makes one layer 9″ cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup desiccated coconut plus 2 tablespoons for garnishing the top of the cake
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon pandan extract (clear), optional
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch square pan or round pan. Toast coconut in the oven or on the stovetop. Set aside.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine; set aside. In another bowl, mix together coconut milk, melted butter and eggs then add to the flour mixture. Mix until just blended, stir in 1/2 cup of toasted coconut and then pour in the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before inverting into a wire rack. Frost with 7-minute frosting. (recipe follows). This cake keeps for 4-5 days ( without frosting).
SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING
Makes enough to top a one-layer 9″ round cake
1 large egg white
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
pinch of cream of tartar
pinch of salt
a drop of vanilla extract
Put about 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a medium-size pot, bring to a boil over high heat. Lowet heat to medium to maintain a steady simmer.
Meanwhile, place the egg white, sugar, cream of tartar and salt into a medium size-mixing bowl. Place the bowl over the simmering water and immediately begin beating with an electric hand mixer set to low speed. Beat for 1 minute and then increase the speed to high and continue to beat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and beat in the coconut and vanilla extract for 1 minute. Allow the frosting to sit for 5 minutes before using.
♥ Have a nice day! 🙂 God Bless! ♥
Simple Coconut Cake with Seven-Minute Frosting
- 1 1/2 CUPS All-Purpose Flour
- 3 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 CUP DESICCATED COCONUT PLUS 2 TABLESPOONS FOR GARNISHING THE TOP OF THE CAKE
- 1 1/4 CUPS SUGAR
- 1/2 STICK BUTTER MELTED
- 2 LARGE EGGS
- 1 CUP COCONUT MILK
- 1 TEASPOON PANDAN EXTRACT CLEAR, OPTIONAL
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F. GREASE A 9-INCH SQUARE PAN OR ROUND PAN. TOAST COCONUT IN THE OVEN OR ON THE STOVETOP. SET ASIDE.
- SIFT FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, SALT AND SUGAR IN A BOWL AND MIX TO COMBINE; SET ASIDE. IN ANOTHER BOWL, MIX TOGETHER COCONUT MILK, MELTED BUTTER AND EGGS THEN ADD TO THE FLOUR MIXTURE. MIX UNTIL JUST BLENDED, STIR IN 1/2 CUP OF TOASTED COCONUT AND THEN POUR IN THE PREPARED BAKING PAN.
- BAKE FOR 25-30 MINUTES OR UNTIL A TOOTHPICK INSERTED IN THE CENTER COMES OUT CLEAN. COOL IN THE PAN FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES BEFORE INVERTING INTO A WIRE RACK. FROST WITH 7-MINUTE FROSTING. (RECIPE FOLLOWS). THIS CAKE KEEPS FOR 4-5 DAYS ( WITHOUT FROSTING).
- ENJOY! 🙂