My daughter told me, why are you putting that (french toast) in your blog, doesn’t everyone know how to do that already? She could be right, but I told her that this blog is where I put my recipe collection, recipes of food that I prepare for our family one day she might want to make it herself, she can always get the recipes here.
Andie loves french toast drizzled with honey or sprinkled with powdered sugar. This is her favorite breakfast or snack, it is very easy, you can use any day-old bread, I usually use white bread or baguette, sometimes with whole wheat bread but she doesn’t like the texture of whole wheat bread.
My aunt introduced me and my siblings when we were kids to french toast, she made it once and we’re hooked. We used to make it with just milk, eggs and butter and sugar, the basic – no other flavorings but I when I got the recipe below, I never looked back, cinnamon and vanilla and nutmeg are so good.
EASY FRENCH TOAST
I’ve had this recipe for years, but don’t remember the title of the recipe book where I got it from
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg ( I only use 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg)
8 slices (1 1/2 thick) day-old french-style bread, sweet or sourdough (or any bread you have available)
powdered sugar for dusting
In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except for the bread slices, butter and powdered sugar. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Dip bread slices in the mixture, turning to coat both sides.
Heat about 2 tablespoon of butter in a skillet/griddle over medium heat until foamy. Add half of the bread slices and cook until golden brown on each side, turning once and adding additional butter as needed. Cook the remaining bread the same way.
Dust with powdered sugar and serve hot with your favorite topping. I used honey; you can serve it with some fresh fruit or warm jam or both.
Easy French Toast
- 4 EGGS
- 1 CUP MILK
- 2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- 1/2 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 TEASPOON FRESHLY GRATED NUTMEG I ONLY USE 1/2 TSP GROUND NUTMEG
- 8 SLICES 1 1/2 THICK DAY-OLD FRENCH-STYLE BREAD, SWEET OR SOURDOUGH (OR ANY BREAD YOU HAVE AVAILABLE)
- POWDERED SUGAR FOR DUSTING
- IN A LARGE BOWL COMBINE ALL THE INGREDIENTS EXCEPT FOR THE BREAD SLICES, BUTTER AND POWDERED SUGAR. BEAT UNTIL THOROUGHLY MIXED. DIP BREAD SLICES IN THE MIXTURE, TURNING TO COAT BOTH SIDES.
- HEAT ABOUT 2 TABLESPOON OF BUTTER IN A SKILLET/GRIDDLE OVER MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL FOAMY. ADD HALF OF THE BREAD SLICES AND COOK UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN ON EACH SIDE, TURNING ONCE AND ADDING ADDITIONAL BUTTER AS NEEDED. COOK THE REMAINING BREAD THE SAME WAY.
- DUST WITH POWDERED SUGAR AND SERVE HOT WITH YOUR FAVORITE TOPPING. I USED HONEY; YOU CAN SERVE IT WITH SOME FRESH FRUIT OR WARM JAM OR BOTH.