I’m loving muffins these days, it’s one of the easiest thing to bake: mix wet ingredients in a bowl, dry ingredients in another bowl, combine the two together, mix, pour and bake and voila! Delicious Muffins! Quick and easy (magic words for me), what could be better than that? I wish I’d known this when I was just learning how to bake.
Muffins are just like cupcakes without the frosting or icing; these babies are rich enough by themselves that frosting will just spoil them. What it needs is a cup of coffee or tea and your love ones to share it with. 🙂
Coconut is my love so it’s only natural for me to make coconut muffins..I’ve searched the web for a good coconut muffin recipe and after testing a couple of them, I settled for this one. I like this recipe because it has crumble topping..yum!
I tweaked it just a bit by replacing some ingredients like: oil instead of butter and buttermilk for milk. For the flour I used half whole wheat pastry and cake flour, I was happy with the result, and so are my family. My husband (as usual) forgot that he doesn’t like coconut and finished 3 in one sitting. 🙂
Tip on making muffins: DO NOT overmix. That is one great tip that you have to remember if you haven’t made muffins before..Over mixing develops the gluten in flour which results in tough muffins..you don’t want that.
This recipe is easy enough that I didn’t take any photos of the process..just this one…
muffins fresh from the oven..
RECIPE FOR COCONUT PINEAPPLE MUFFINS with CRUMBLE TOPPING
I found this recipe here
makes 12 yummy muffins
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (I sub dessicated coconut)
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup cake flour and 1 cup wholewheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted ( I used coconut oil)
1/2 cup milk (I replaced this with buttermilk)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained well
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dessicated coconut
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut up
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Sprinkle the coconut on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Alternately, you can do this in a pan over medium high heat, stir constantly or you’ll burn it or you may skip this but toasting the coconut makes it more flavorful.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl, melt butter in microwave combine oil, milk, pineapple juice, eggs, and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened; do not over mix. Fold in the toasted coconut and pineapple.
For topping, mix together brown sugar, flour and coconut. Rub in small pieces of butter with fingers until coarse crumbs have formed. Sprinkle coarse crumb topping over coconut- pineapple muffin batter.
Fill 12 non-stick muffin pans two-thirds full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and firm. Cool in pan on a wire rack. That’s it! Done. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee..by yourself with a good book or with your love ones 😉
Oh, I received an award from a blogger friend, Joy Zhang of Joylicious.net. I’m supposed to write 7 random things about myself and pass the award to 7 blogger friends…I will be posting it later today..
Thanks for reading and Have a nice day! 🙂
Coconut Pineapple Muffins with Crumble Topping
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1/2 CUP SWEETENED FLAKED COCONUT I SUB DESSICATED COCONUT
- 2 CUPS All-Purpose Flour I USED 1 CUP CAKE FLOUR AND 1 CUP WHOLEWHEAT PASTRY FLOUR
- 1/2 CUP SUGAR
- 1/2 CUP BUTTER MELTED ( I USED COCONUT OIL)
- 1/2 CUP MILK I REPLACED THIS WITH BUTTERMILK
- 1/4 CUP PINEAPPLE JUICE
- 2 TSP BAKING POWDER
- 1 TSP SALT
- 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2 EGGS
- 1/2 CUP CRUSHED PINEAPPLE DRAINED WELL
- 1/3 CUP Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 CUP All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 CUP DESSICATED COCONUT
- 3 TABLESPOONS COLD BUTTER CUT UP
- HEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES.
- SPRINKLE THE COCONUT ON A BAKING SHEET AND TOAST FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES, STIRRING FREQUENTLY. ALTERNATELY, YOU CAN DO THIS IN A PAN OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT, STIR CONSTANTLY OR YOU’LL BURN IT OR YOU MAY SKIP THIS BUT TOASTING THE COCONUT MAKES IT MORE FLAVORFUL.
- IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL, COMBINE FLOUR, SUGAR, BAKING POWDER AND SALT.
- IN A SMALL BOWL, MELT BUTTER IN MICROWAVE COMBINE OIL, MILK, PINEAPPLE JUICE, EGGS, AND VANILLA. STIR INTO FLOUR MIXTURE JUST UNTIL MOISTENED; DO NOT OVER MIX. FOLD IN THE TOASTED COCONUT AND PINEAPPLE.
- FOR TOPPING, MIX TOGETHER BROWN SUGAR, FLOUR AND COCONUT. RUB IN SMALL PIECES OF BUTTER WITH FINGERS UNTIL COARSE CRUMBS HAVE FORMED. SPRINKLE COARSE CRUMB TOPPING OVER COCONUT- PINEAPPLE MUFFIN BATTER.
- FILL 12 NON-STICK MUFFIN PANS TWO-THIRDS FULL. BAKE FOR 25-30 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOPS ARE LIGHTLY BROWNED AND FIRM. COOL IN PAN ON A WIRE RACK. THAT’S IT! DONE. ENJOY WITH A CUP OF TEA OR COFFEE..BY YOURSELF WITH A GOOD BOOK OR WITH YOUR LOVE ONES 😉