It’s that time of the year again when apples are abundant; I love to use apples for baking, apple pie’s our favorite but I do that mostly on weekends because it’s not really easy to make (but worth the time spent in the kitchen) this apple cake is so much simpler to make than the pie.
You may drizzle caramel syrup like in the picture to “glue” the streusel to the apple cake and will keep the cake moist longer but it’s not really necessary so I didn’t include it in the recipe.
The recipe makes one loaf, if you have extra loaf pans better make 1 or two more because there’s going to be plenty of space in that oven and for almost an hour of baking, for me, it seems like a waste of electricity or gas to bake just 1 ( besides this cake stores for up to 3 days if stored out of reach, that is).. just a tip! 🙂
thick and lumpy apple-filled batter
sprinkle streusel then arrange slices of apple on top, then bake..
and enjoy with coffee or tea..yummy!
APPLE STREUSEL CAKE
1 1/2 cups fuji apples ( 3 small ones) peeled and grated*
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 cup oil ( canola, corn or any vegetable oil)
* you’ll actually only going to need 2 1/4 apples . Cut each apple into quarters first then cut the core part of each quarter before grating it; I find that it’s easier and faster to do it this way than peeling the apple whole.
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease the bottom of a medium loaf pan and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In another mixing bowl, combine the grated apples, egg, sugar and oil, mix well and pour this mixture to the flour mixture. Using a wodden spoon, stir to combine. Don’t be alarmed if the batter is too thick, it’s suppose to be like that. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with streusel and slices of apples; bake at 350F degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and or when the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before inverting into a rack to cool completely.
1/8 cup ( 2 tablespoons) butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
dash of cinnamon powder ( optional)
Mix flour and sugar in a small bowl, add cinnamon if you like. Using your fingertips or fork, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumb.
Sprinkle on top of the apple cake batter.
Serve with coffee or tea. Enjoy!
♥ Happy Weekend! 🙂 ♥
Apple Streusel Cake
- 1 1/2 CUPS FUJI APPLES 3 SMALL ONES PEELED AND GRATED*
- 1 1/2 CUPS All-Purpose Flour
- 1 CUP SUGAR
- 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
- 1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 1/4 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1/4 TEASPOON CINNAMON POWDER
- 1/4 CUP OIL CANOLA, CORN OR ANY VEGETABLE OIL
- 1 EGG
- * YOU’LL ACTUALLY ONLY GOING TO NEED 2 1/4 APPLES . CUT EACH APPLE INTO QUARTERS FIRST THEN CUT THE CORE PART OF EACH QUARTER BEFORE GRATING IT; I FIND THAT IT’S EASIER AND FASTER TO DO IT THIS WAY THAN PEELING THE APPLE WHOLE.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 F DEGREES. GREASE THE BOTTOM OF A MEDIUM LOAF PAN AND SET ASIDE.
- IN A MIXING BOWL, SIFT TOGETHER THE FLOUR, BAKING SODA, BAKING POWDER, AND SALT; SET ASIDE. IN ANOTHER MIXING BOWL, COMBINE THE GRATED APPLES, EGG, SUGAR AND OIL, MIX WELL AND POUR THIS MIXTURE TO THE FLOUR MIXTURE. USING A WODDEN SPOON, STIR TO COMBINE. DON’T BE ALARMED IF THE BATTER IS TOO THICK, IT’S SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE THAT. POUR BATTER INTO THE PREPARED LOAF PAN. TOP WITH STREUSEL AND SLICES OF APPLES; BAKE AT 350F DEGREES FOR 50-60 MINUTES, OR UNTIL BREAD IS GOLDEN BROWN AND OR WHEN THE TOOTHPICK INSERTED COMES OUT CLEAN. COOL IN THE PAN FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES BEFORE INVERTING INTO A RACK TO COOL COMPLETELY.