I’ve been gone from this blog for about a year and a half, we had a house renovation which took longer than planned.
So, anyways my kitchen was done some months back but still couldn’t enjoy it fully because there were still workers in our house…even on weekends up until Christmas time. sigh
And so here it is my first post after a long while.
This recipe just came to mind when I had nothing to eat and pantry and refrigerator were almost out of anything save for gouda slices, some tortilla and onions. No meat not even canned goods in sight. We were living on fast food and eating out a lot while our house was being renovated.
I missed cooking so for lunch I made this vegetarian enchiladas casserole out of those ingredients I found in the fridge.
The kids thought it was lasagna because of the gooey melted cheese on top. 🙂
Note: Step 3 & 4 in the photo collage are switched. I thought I have edited it.
Baked Apples and Onion Spinach Enchiladas
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 pack spinach tortilla 5-6 pcs
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 medium Fuji apple cut into thin slices
- 1.5 cups Shredded mozzarella
- Fresh cheese or cream cheese
- 1.5 cups Marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat marinara sauce in a saucepan over low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over high heat. Put the tortilla one at a time to reheat. About 20 secs on each side. ( it will bubble up)
- On a square baking dish, spread a thin coat of marinara sauce at the bottom.
- Lay a tortilla on a plate, spread about a tablespoon of fresh cheese/cream cheese.
- Add onion and apple slices then add the mozzarella cheese on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fold tortilla on opposite ends then roll starting from one unfolded side ( like an egg roll/ lumpia) then lay it on the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Pour marinara sauce on top then sprinkle generously with grated mozzarella. You may season with salt and pepper if you like. Add some dots of butter on top. Cover with foil and put in the preheated oven for about 15-20 mins. Or until cheese becomes bubbly.
- Serve while the cheese is still warm and gooey <img draggable="false" data-mce-resize="false" data-mce-placeholder="1" data-wp-emoji="1" class="emoji" alt="?" src="https://s.w.org/images/core/emoji/2.2.1/svg/1f60b.svg">
- If making it in advance like I usually do, turn off the oven 5 minutes before it's done and leave it there until meal time 🙂