This is my attempt to copy roka salata from Cyma. I’m not a big fan of salad but when I first had this I was wowed – it’s super-yummy! I like everything in it – the slightly bitter arugula, crispy lettuce, salty sun-dried- which was a bit too salty for my taste, actually but it was balanced by the candied walnuts; and of course the shavings of parmigiano reggiano and the greek vinaigrette.
I couldn’t wait to remake it at home (something that I often do when I really like a certain food). I’ve made a few tries with the greek vinaigrette (I found this recipe which I scaled to a much smaller quantity and adjusted to my liking) before I’m finally satisfied with the taste. I added apples to the salad and homemade tomato confit instead of sun-dried tomatoes and just use a regular cheese (the parmigiano reggiano is too pricey).
Good to know: Roka means rocket in english which is another term for arugula, a bitter salad green; Salata is of course salad. 🙂
Here’s my version of Cyma’s Roka Salata; I’m very happy with it, I hope that you’ll like it too…if not, well, you can always adjust the vinaigrette to your taste 🙂
I would not mind eating this salad for a meal everyday if possible
roka salata without the arugula.. I love the vinaigrette and the candied walnuts..super delish!! 8)
Roka Salata (Greek Rocket Salad )
- 1 bag Mixed Salad Greens get the one with arugula or a bag of romaine lettuce / pre-washed
- 1 pc Apple small size / thinly sliced
- 1 batch Tomato Confit or sun-dried tomatoes
- ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese shaved
- Candied Walnuts store-bought or make your own / see recipe below
- 2 teaspoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil extra virgin
- 4 teaspoons Honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Basil
- ¼ teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon Onion Powder
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
FOR THE SALAD:
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar with lid and shake until the mixture is well blended.
- Put salad ingredients except for cheese and in a big bowl and pour desired amount of vinaigrette.
- Toss salad and serve immediately.
- Put lid back on the jar and keep extra salad dressing in the fridge, it's good for one more batch of salad for 4 persons 🙂
FOR THE CANDIED WALNUTS:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat.
- When it gets really hot, add walnuts and some white sugar and cook until sugar is caramelized and coats the walnuts.
- Transfer walnuts into a platter and let cool before using.
Whew..took me hours just to make this one post..
♥ Have a nice day..God Bless!! ♥