I rarely cook fried chicken at home, we usually order it out or have it delivered because it is easy and I have to admit that I cannot make better fried chicken at home than the ones from Mcdonald’s (my favorite) or KFC’s.
Well, I could try but to make a perfect fried chicken requires right temperature and a lot of oil, a deep-fryer is a must or we end up with greasy fried chicken.
My version of fried chicken at home is pan-fried in a little oil only then I cover it to cook the chicken through and I let the skin brown really well so they’re crispy and crunchy.
I heard about oven-fried chicken from Barefoot Contessa, and I thought it sounded good, crispy fried chicken without using a lot of oil. I was intent on trying it, I saved the recipe and all but then when I reviewed it, I found out that I have to pre-cook the chicken by frying it in an inch-high oil..what?!
I thought, there wouldn’t be any frying involve, that it would just go directly in the oven..gah! I’m sure it’ll give delicious oven-fried chicken at the end especially since it’s from Ina. BUT right now, I want something more simple and easy to make.
With the oil and extra work, I would rather order fried chicken…I’ll give Ina Garten’s recipe a try next time. Good thing I found a recipe that fits my preference for oven-fried chicken: simple, easy, healthy.. 🙂
dip chicken pieces in egg-milk mixture
dredge in seasoned cornflakes
..and enjoy! ü
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- In a small bowl combine egg and milk.
- For coating… in a shallow dish combine crushed cornflakes, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, stir in melted butter then set aside.
- Skin chicken.
- Dip chicken pieces, 1 at a time, into egg mixture, coat with crumb mixture.
- In a greased 15x10x1inch baking pan, arrange chicken, bone side down, so the pieces aren't touching.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with any remaining crumb mixture so they are generously coated.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks).
- Do not turn chicken pieces while baking.
- Makes 6 servings.