This dish is inspired by Japanese appetizer agedashi tofu.
Agedashi tofu is fried silken tofu in a very flavorful rich sauce which is similar in taste in teriyaki sauce but it’s not sweet.
I did some research and found out that the delicious agedashi sauce is called tsuyu sauce. It taste similar to teriyaki but without the sweetness. It has dashi (fish stock) which is why it’s so flavorful or bonito flakes as substitute.
I thought I’ll make my own version at home with fish fillet. The dashi (seasoned fish stock) or the bonito flakes which you can use to make dashi is optional.
It’s kind of difficult to get them at this time of the pandemic, I can’t go to my regular supermarket where these items are usually available because the line getting in is crazy loooooong!!
Anyways, without the dashi it’s just as good. I made the sauce to my taste, feel free to adjust to your preference.
Agedashi means deep-fried. But I just do pan-frying in a non-stick skillet.
This dish is really quick and easy. You heat the pan, cut the fillet of fish into small slices, add the oil in the pan to heat.
While oil is heating, you dredge the fish fillet pieces in seasoned cornstarch and flour mixture. By the time the oil is hot you’re set to fry!
And while fish is in the pan, frying. Make the sauce. Take the fish our, sauce comes in. Boil until it’s reduced then fried fish goes in again. Do a taste test. Add the sesame seeds. Boom! It’s done. 🙂
dredge the fish fillet pieces in the seasoned cornstarch and flour mixture
When fish is browned, flip to cook the other side
Take the fish out of the pan and pour the sauce. Simmer until it’s reduced to half and the consistency is slightly thick
Put the fish back. Gently stir to coat the fish with sauce. Add sesame seeds (optional)
Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with roasted seaweed flakes (optional). Enjoy!
Agedashi Fish Fillet
- 500 grams Fish Fillet
- Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Sesame Oil
- Roasted Seaweed Flakes for garnish (optional)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup Mirin
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Ginger Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Dashi or chicken / or pork broth / or water
- Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Heat a saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add sesame oil when pan is hot.
- Meanwhile, combine¼ cup flour and ¼ cup cornstarch in a bowl, add ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ tsp ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Wash fish fillet and dry with paper towels.
- Cut into big bite-size pieces.
- Lightly season fish with salt and ground black pepper.
- When oil is hot, put fish fillet and fry until golden brown then flip to cook the other side.
- While fish is frying, make the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Take the fish out of the pan. Pour the sauce into the pan.
- Turn up heat to high and let sauce cook until reduced in by a third or half and the consistency is slightly thickened.
- Put the fish back and gently stir to mix so sauce coats the fish pieces evenly.
- Add sesame seeds. Turn off heat and transfer fish in a platter.
- Sprinkle roasted seeweeds on top (this is optional). Enjoy!