This recipe is from the collection of Perfect Desserts from Good Housekeeping Magazine, my mother gave me this GH Perfect Desserts recipe collection box containing 55 recipe cards with over 80 recipes.
So far I’ve tried 3 recipes from it, The first was the blondie, I wasn’t able to take any pictures of it, for some reason; the second one was a cookie, I’m still having doubts about posting it, the photos are awful but maybe I’ll still post it..someday
This chocolate pound cake is my third try from that collection, it’s not that great, but it’s not bad either. In fact it’s better than some chocolate pound cake recipes I’ve tried before, this one is denser and darker but to be honest, it’s quite boring eaten by itself so I decided to “up” its appeal by transfroming it into other desserts.
I cut the loaf into slices, about an inch thick, from these slices, I made 2 cake sandwhiches (using a flower cookie cutter) with simple sweetened cream and topped it with cherry as you can see.
Then some I’ve made into https://www.latestrecipes.net/2009/07/20/lamingtons/ like in my previous post..
and the scraps into cake balls…
We all loved it. Normally a cake like this (no matter how plain) wouldn’t last another day in our house but turning this one into different shapes and sizes, gave it a longer “shelf life”.
RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
from Good Housekeeping
prep: 20 minutes plus cooling
bake: about 65 minute
makes 20 servings
non stick cooking spray
2 tbsp plus 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup low fat milk (1%)
3/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray; dust pan with 2 tbsp cocoa, tapping out any excess.
In a large bowl, with mixer at low speed, blend flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup cocoa, 30 seconds until mixed
with mixer at low speed, beat in milk and remaining ingredients just until combined. Increase speed to high, beat 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. With metal spatula or small knife, loosen cake from edges of the pan. Invert cake to wire rack and immediately invert again to turn cake upright. Cool cake completely on rack.
To make cake sandwich: Whip about 1/4 cup of whipping cream or all purpose cream and 1 tablespoon of icing sugar or fine sugar until soft peaks form.
Use as a filling between two cut- out cake slices.
For lamingtons, find instructions here and lastly..
for making cake balls: Melt 2 ounces of white chocolate in 3-4 ounces of heated heavy cream, cool mixture a bit and pour into the 2 cups of cake crumbs. Form into balls and roll in dessicated coconut.
Chocolate Pound Cake
- NON STICK COOKING SPRAY
- 2 TBSP PLUS 3/4 CUP UNSWEETENED COCOA
- 2 CUPS All-Purpose Flour
- 2 CUPS Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 TSP BAKING SODA
- 1 TSP SALT
- 1/2 TSP BAKING POWDER
- 3/4 CUP LOW FAT MILK 1%
- 3/4 CUP HOT STRONG BREWED COFFEE
- 1/4 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
- 2 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 LARGE EGG
- 1 LARGE EGG WHITE
- 1 OUNCE UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE MELTED
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES F. GENEROUSLY SPRAY 9×5 INCH LOAF PAN WITH NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY; DUST PAN WITH 2 TBSP COCOA, TAPPING OUT ANY EXCESS.
- IN A LARGE BOWL, WITH MIXER AT LOW SPEED, BLEND FLOUR, SUGAR, BAKING SODA, BAKING POWDER, SALT AND 3/4 CUP COCOA, 30 SECONDS UNTIL MIXED
- WITH MIXER AT LOW SPEED, BEAT IN MILK AND REMAINING INGREDIENTS JUST UNTIL COMBINED. INCREASE SPEED TO HIGH, BEAT 2 MINUTES. POUR BATTER INTO PREPARED PAN.
- BAKE 1 HOUR AND 5 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOOTHPICK INSERTED COMES CLEAN. COOL CAKE IN PAN ON WIRE RACK FOR 10 MINUTES. WITH METAL SPATULA OR SMALL KNIFE, LOOSEN CAKE FROM EDGES OF THE PAN. INVERT CAKE TO WIRE RACK AND IMMEDIATELY INVERT AGAIN TO TURN CAKE UPRIGHT. COOL CAKE COMPLETELY ON RACK.
- TO MAKE CAKE SANDWICH: WHIP ABOUT 1/4 CUP OF WHIPPING CREAM OR ALL PURPOSE CREAM AND 1 TABLESPOON OF ICING SUGAR OR FINE SUGAR UNTIL SOFT PEAKS FORM.
- USE AS A FILLING BETWEEN TWO CUT- OUT CAKE SLICES.
- FOR LAMINGTONS, FIND INSTRUCTIONS HERE AND LASTLY..
- FOR MAKING CAKE BALLS: MELT 2 OUNCES OF WHITE CHOCOLATE IN 3-4 OUNCES OF HEATED HEAVY CREAM, COOL MIXTURE A BIT AND POUR INTO THE 2 CUPS OF CAKE CRUMBS. FORM INTO BALLS AND ROLL IN DESSICATED COCONUT.