Mother’s Day is almost here so I decided to make this delicious, nutritious (it’s made of veggie ;P) cake roll. It’s been awhile since I made cake to celebrate an occasion. It’s either I’m out of energy or time.
But over the weekend I was inspired to bake a simple cake roll. I was planning to make this cake for Easter Sunday but I wasn’t able to for some reason.
I’m glad I did bake this cake because my son discovered my little box of Cadbury Mini Easter chocolate eggs I hid in one of the kitchen drawers and started circling on it…he keeps asking what it’s for and if I don’t move fast enough, I’ll soon find an empty box of chocolate for sure. So I decided to finally bake and use it for decoration. 😀
Better late than never as the saying goes. So, this is my super-belated Happy Easter Sunday and Advance Happy Mother’s Day celebration cake…all rolled into one. ;D
beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 5 minutes
add grated carrots
add in the dry ingredients
add grated carrot and chpped pecans to half of the cream cheese filling
spread the filling on the cake
roll the cake and spread the remaining half of the filling to cover top and sides of the cake
grate pecans on top…
or decorate as you like. I added these mini Easter chocolate eggs in pastel shells for a more festive look 🙂
I’ts a carrot cake roll and not carrot roll cake. I guess I was too sleepy when I was editing my photos 😀 Anyways, enjoy a slice or two of this with your favorite cup of coffee or tea.
The recipe I used was adapted from Food Network. I made some changes. To see original recipe, go here.
Carrot Cake Roll
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
FOR THE CAKE:
- Unsalted Butter at room temperature / for greasing pan
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour see note below
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Fine Salt
- 4 pcs Eggs large size / at room temperature
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Carrot medium size / finely grated
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Walnuts or pecans / few pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
FOR THE CAKE:
- Grease a 13-by-18-inch sheet pan with butter, line bottom of the pan with parchment paper and generously butter and flour the paper.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, and salt and stir to combine.
- Place the eggs and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light, thick and pale, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low, add the carrot, then slowly add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until the top springs back when gently touched, about 15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, lay a clean, thin cotton dish towel (or a piece of parchment paper) out on a flat surface and sift 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar evenly over it. (This will prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.)
- As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, loosen it around the edges and invert it squarely onto the prepared towel.
- Peel away the parchment paper.
- Starting at one of the short ends, gently roll the warm cake and the towel together.
- Allow the rolled cake to cool completely on a wire rack.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth, add the whipping cream and beat together with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the honey (or sugar) vanilla..
- Continue to beat until completely combined, about 2 minutes.
- Increase the speed to high and beat until fluffy, about 4 minutes more.
- Place ½ cup of the frosting in a small bowl and set aside.
- Carefully unroll the cake onto a cutting board.
- On the remaining half of the frosting, Gently fold in grated carrot (¼ cup) and chopped pecans (2-3 tablespoons).
- Using a small offset spatula, spread half the frosting evenly over the cake, making sure to go all the way to the edge.
- Carefully re-roll the cake, using the parchment paper as a guide.
- Place the cake roll on a platter.
- Frost the sides and ends of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Place grated pecans over the cake for garnish and added chocolate eggs (optional) for a simple finishing touch.
- Decorate as you please and add anything to your liking 🙂