A friend gave this recipe to me, her sister emailed it to her who also got it from a friend. A note from her sister said that “it’s very delicious and easy to do also”. Easy and delicious– those are magic words for me, I thanked my friend and promised her that I will try it.
It turned out too salty the first time I tried it, I have definitely done something wrong because when I tried the recipe again, and again, it was delicious like it said in the note. I think I overdid the oyster sauce or maybe the brand I used before was too salty or maybe I was pre-occupied with something that I seasoned it twice, maybe ..could be..
But that was over 10 years ago; just a couple of years into my marriage, I was just beginning to take cooking seriously. I’ve done this recipe many times since without any problems. I’ve made minor changes like, I don’t deep fry it like it said in the original recipe, I just stir-fry or saute and use just one pan in cooking it.
It also calls for some MSG but since I don’t use it in my cooking, I did not include it in the recipe below. Go and give it a try, I’m sure you’ll like this recipe. 🙂
CHICKEN WINGS WITH OYSTER SAUCE
recipe from a friend’s sister’s friend’
10-12 chicken wings
6 stalks green onion
6 slices ginger
sesame oil, optional
2 tbsp cooking oil for sauteeing
2 TBSP oyster sauce
1 1/ tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup water
1 tbsp cooking wine or sherry (I used chicken stock)
2 tsp cornstarch with 1/4 cup water
Cut chicken wings in 2 parts and coat with soy sauce. Stir-fry in hot oil until half-cooked. Remove and drain well.
Remove excess oil, just leave about 1-2 tablespoons in the pan for sauteeing sauce ingredients.
Mix all ingredients for the sauce.
In the same wok or non-stick pan, saute green onion and ginger in 2 tbsp cooking oil. Stir in chicken wings. Add sauce mixture. Cover with wok lid. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
Thicken the sauce with the starch solution (2 tsp starch with1 /4 cup water). Add more starch solution if you want a thicker sauce.
Arrange wings on platter and pour sauce over, drizzle a little sesame oil on top and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve hot.
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Chicken Wings with Oyster Sauce
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- CUT CHICKEN WINGS IN 2 PARTS AND COAT WITH SOY SAUCE. STIR-FRY IN HOT OIL UNTIL HALF-COOKED. REMOVE AND DRAIN WELL.
- REMOVE EXCESS OIL, JUST LEAVE ABOUT 1-2 TABLESPOONS IN THE PAN FOR SAUTEEING SAUCE INGREDIENTS.
- MIX ALL INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE.
- IN THE SAME WOK OR NON-STICK PAN, SAUTE GREEN ONION AND GINGER IN 2 TBSP COOKING OIL. STIR IN CHICKEN WINGS. ADD SAUCE MIXTURE. COVER WITH WOK LID. COOK OVER MEDIUM HEAT FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES OR UNTIL THE CHICKEN IS TENDER.
- THICKEN THE SAUCE WITH THE STARCH SOLUTION (2 TSP STARCH WITH1 /4 CUP WATER). ADD MORE STARCH SOLUTION IF YOU WANT A THICKER SAUCE.
- ARRANGE WINGS ON PLATTER AND POUR SAUCE OVER, DRIZZLE A LITTLE SESAME OIL ON TOP AND GARNISH WITH SESAME SEEDS AND GREEN ONIONS. SERVE HOT.