You know the saying easy as pie? It always puzzles me when someone says that for I find making pies (the crust part) not really easy. I couldn’t relate to it but when I attempted to make this mini pies last weekend, I thought, hmmmn.. this must be what that saying is about. They are not perfect but so yummy.
The crust is so easy to work with unlike the one that I use for apple pies. Part of what made these pies/tarts easy is that I used a cookie cutter to shape the pie dough (crust) and add to that I already have sweetened purple yam made in advance.
This is a good way to recycle leftover yams- whether it be purple, yellow (sweet potato) or whatever- that I’m sure everyone will love if they like pies and pastries, that is. The thing I love the most here is, you eat this by hand, no forks and plates to wash afterwards 🙂
I’m sorry I didn’t have any pictures of “the making” or the process to show you because I made this really quick for some guests. I will update this in the future but you know what this is really easy I doubt that you will need it. 🙂
RECIPE FOR PURPLE YAM-MACAPUNO MINI PIES
makes about 10 mini pies or one 9-inch pie
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoon butter, softened
1 tablespon water combined with an egg yolk
1 cup sweetened purple yam (ube halaya)
3/4 cup sweetened macapuno (coconut sport) plus more for topping
1/4 cup fresh cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Butter a 9-inch pie plate or muffin pan. In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water-eggyolk mixture and mix dough until it forms a ball.
Roll out dough to fit a 9-inch pie plate or roll into a rectangle and using a round cookie cutter, cut circles and fit into muffin pan. Gather the trimmings and roll it out and cut again with cookie cutter; repeat until there’s no more or very little excess dough left. Lightly prick the the bottom and sides of the crusts with a fork, make sure you’re not pricking through it (This is called docking and this is done to prevent the crust from rising). Flute edges.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
Meanwhile do the filling: Combine sweetened purple yam and macapuno. Fill each of the cooled mini tart shells with the purple yam mixture. Whip the heavy cream and icing sugar and top mini pies with it garnish with a little macapuno.
That’s about it. Sorry no photos of the “making”, will add it in the future 🙂
Thanks for reading, Have a nice day! 🙂
Purple Yam - Macapuno Mini Pies or Tarts
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 1/2 CUPS All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 TABLESPOON SUGAR
- 1/3 CUP PLUS 2 TABLESPOON BUTTER SOFTENED
- 1 TABLESPON WATER COMBINED WITH AN EGG YOLK
- 1 CUP SWEETENED PURPLE YAM UBE HALAYA
- 3/4 CUP SWEETENED MACAPUNO COCONUT SPORT PLUS MORE FOR TOPPING
- 1/4 CUP FRESH CREAM
- 1 TABLESPOON ICING SUGAR CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 F DEGREES. BUTTER A 9-INCH PIE PLATE OR MUFFIN PAN. IN A BOWL, COMBINE FLOUR AND SUGAR. CUT IN THE BUTTER UNTIL MIXTURE RESEMBLES COARSE CRUMBS. ADD THE WATER-EGGYOLK MIXTURE AND MIX DOUGH UNTIL IT FORMS A BALL.
- ROLL OUT DOUGH TO FIT A 9-INCH PIE PLATE OR ROLL INTO A RECTANGLE AND USING A ROUND COOKIE CUTTER, CUT CIRCLES AND FIT INTO MUFFIN PAN. GATHER THE TRIMMINGS AND ROLL IT OUT AND CUT AGAIN WITH COOKIE CUTTER; REPEAT UNTIL THERE’S NO MORE OR VERY LITTLE EXCESS DOUGH LEFT. LIGHTLY PRICK THE THE BOTTOM AND SIDES OF THE CRUSTS WITH A FORK, MAKE SURE YOU’RE NOT PRICKING THROUGH IT (THIS IS CALLED DOCKING AND THIS IS DONE TO PREVENT THE CRUST FROM RISING). FLUTE EDGES.
- BAKE FOR 15-20 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. COOL.
- MEANWHILE DO THE FILLING: COMBINE SWEETENED PURPLE YAM AND MACAPUNO. FILL EACH OF THE COOLED MINI TART SHELLS WITH THE PURPLE YAM MIXTURE. WHIP THE HEAVY CREAM AND ICING SUGAR AND TOP MINI PIES WITH IT GARNISH WITH A LITTLE MACAPUNO.