For chocolate lovers like me, chocolate lava cake, without a doubt is a favorite dessert. Moist cake with melted center. Enough said. 🙂
When I first came across this cake (several years back) I immediately searched for a recipe and tried it. We couldn’t wait for it to completely cool before devouring it, didn’t even bother with serving plates, we just ate it straight from the ramekins. I like to poke the middle with a spoon and put some chilled cream inside.. wow! It’s heaven. You have got to try it. The cold cream melting with the hot chocolate inside the cake…Y-U-M my!!!
Making this heavenly dessert is relatively easy. Well, the preparation is easy , the tricky part is the oven. It has to reach the correct temperature before you start baking. And after 10 minutes, start watching it because it might be too late if you will wait for the timer, some ovens behave differently than the others and the cake will get cooked through before you know it. It’s best to take it out around 10-12 mins if this is your first time to bake it. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect the first time, mine weren’t perfect either but that did not stop me from making it over and over and over..
You can make it look pretty for special days and serve it with a dollop of cream or small scoop of ice cream with some berries.
Chocolate Lava Cake (Molten Cake)
- Grease 4 ramekins (4oz) and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate, butter and coffee powder in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool.
- When mixture has cooled, add the eggs, one at a time and mix well. Add the cocoa and flour and mix well until combined.
- Pour into prepared ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. when oven is hot and ready, uncover chilled chocolate mixture, place them on a baking sheet/tray and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream and/or some berries. Or simply dust with powdered sugar.