Pastry cream, creme patissiere or custard cream is that delicious filling you get when you bite into an eclair, cream puffs or boston creme (doughnut or cake); it’s also what’s underneath a bed of fruit tarts. It’s creamy, not too sweet and needless to say, yummy! It didn’t come out right the first time I tried making custard, there were no videos or photos to help me visually. The recipe that I used before requires cooking the cornstarch and milk first then adding the yolks towards the end when the mixture has cooled down a bit. It works too but I find it a bit complicated to make. Glad I found another way of making it and it’s what I’ve been using since.
It’s really easier to make pastry cream once you watched a video of how it’s done.
It’s not that difficult to make..
mix egg yolks, sugar in a bowl
add flour and cornstarch
..and the hot milk
mix well then return in the saucepan and cook until mixture thickens
use as filling for doughnuts, cakes, eclairs, puff pastry and pies
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- In a medium-sized heatproof bowl, mix the sugar and egg yolks together. (Do let the mixture sit too long or you will get pieces of egg forming.)
- Sift the flour and cornstarch (corn flour) together and then add to the egg mixture, mixing until you get a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan bring the milk just to boiling (just until milk starts to foam up.) Remove from heat and add slowly to egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. (If you get a few pieces of egg (curdling) in the mixture, pour through a strainer.)
- Pour the egg mixture into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly. When it boils, whisk mixture constantly for another 30 - 60 seconds until it becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the liqueur (if using). Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour into a clean bowl and immediately cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming. Cool to room temperature. If not using right away refrigerate until needed, up to 3 days. Whisk or stir before using to get rid of any lumps that may have formed.
- For lighter pastry cream fold in 1/2 cup (120 ml) softly whipped cream to cooled pastry cream.
- For Chocolate pastry cream add 2 ounces (60 grams) of finely grated bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate to the hot pastry cream. Stir until melted.
- For Coffee pastry cream add 1/2 - 1 tablespoon instant espresso or coffee powder to the hot milk.
♥ Have a nice day and God Bless! 🙂 ♥