Ever since I was little, we always have rice for breakfast to start our day. Sometimes it’s champorado or rice porridge but most of the time its rice, egg and meat or dried fish with chocolate drink and sometimes coffee (yes, I started drinking coffee at a very young age, about 8 I think, that maybe the reason why I’m small).
With my own family, I don’t always get to cook rice for breakfast, sometimes it’s just oatmeal or cereal with raisins and bananas because it’s quick and easy but whenever I can, I make rice and on leisurely weekends, this is what I love to make for brunch: Arroz a la Cubana.
Arroz ala Cubana (Cuban-style rice) is Spanish in origin, it’s basically sauteed ground meat, usually beef serve with rice and egg- cooked sunny-side up- and with fried slices of potatoes and saba banana. It’s typically serve for breakfast or brunch but you can serve this any time of the day, in fact I made this one for dinner so I can blog about it too 😉
As most of my dishes here, this is quite easy to make. Don’t let the name intimidate you, it’s basically just sauté-ed ground beef. I made little changes in this dish like, instead of frying, I poached the egg and roasted the potatoes and saba in the oven to make it healthier and lesser in calories.
slice the saba banana and potatoes and lay them in a baking sheet; brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
saute the ground beef and raisins and other ingredients
Serve with molded rice topped with egg and garnish with roasted potatoes and banana
RECIPE FOR ARROZ ALA CUBANA
400 grams ground beef (lean is better)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, minced
2 small tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup raisins
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil (not necessarily extra-virgin)
2 small-medium potatoes, sliced (I sliced mine thinly)
4 saba bananas, sliced into 4
4 eggs, poached or cook sunny-side up
Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Peel and slice the saba banana; slice the potatoes, brush or tossed with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper and put it in the baking sheet to bake for about 10-15 minutes, inverting the bananas and potatoes to brown the other side as well.
In a pan, Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil and saute the garlic, onion and tomatoes, cook for about 2 minutes; add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper to taste; add raisins and cook until browned. Set this aside. If you are going to fry the egg instead of poaching, you may use the same pan to cook the eggs.
*To poach eggs: In a deep frying pan, heat about a cup of water to gentle boil, add salt and a little vinegar. Break an egg in a small bowl and then gently slide it on the simmering water. Don’t stir. Cook until the egg is set. Use a slotted spoon to take the egg out of the pan.
That’s about it. Arrange it on plate by molding hot rice (whether steamed or fried rice) by scooping it in a cup and inverting it on a plate. Top with an egg ( poach or fried).
Arrange the cooked meat around the rice and place an egg (poached or pan-fried) on top, then arrange the sauteed beef around the rice or just do your own thing with it. Serve this with a hot cup of coffee.
note: You can add a little tomato sauce or add more water if you want it sauce-y.
Thanks for reading and Have a nice day! 🙂
Arroz ala Cubana
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 400F DEGREES. PEEL AND SLICE THE SABA BANANA; SLICE THE POTATOES, BRUSH OR TOSSED WITH OLIVE OIL AND SEASON LIGHTLY WITH SALT AND PEPPER AND PUT IT IN THE BAKING SHEET TO BAKE FOR ABOUT 10-15 MINUTES, INVERTING THE BANANAS AND POTATOES TO BROWN THE OTHER SIDE AS WELL.
- IN A PAN, HEAT ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF OLIVE OIL AND SAUTE THE GARLIC, ONION AND TOMATOES, COOK FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES; ADD THE GROUND BEEF, SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE; ADD RAISINS AND COOK UNTIL BROWNED. SET THIS ASIDE. IF YOU ARE GOING TO FRY THE EGG INSTEAD OF POACHING, YOU MAY USE THE SAME PAN TO COOK THE EGGS.
- *TO POACH EGGS: IN A DEEP FRYING PAN, HEAT ABOUT A CUP OF WATER TO GENTLE BOIL, ADD SALT AND A LITTLE VINEGAR. BREAK AN EGG IN A SMALL BOWL AND THEN GENTLY SLIDE IT ON THE SIMMERING WATER. DON’T STIR. COOK UNTIL THE EGG IS SET. USE A SLOTTED SPOON TO TAKE THE EGG OUT OF THE PAN.
- THAT’S ABOUT IT. ARRANGE IT ON PLATE BY MOLDING HOT RICE (WHETHER STEAMED OR FRIED RICE) BY SCOOPING IT IN A CUP AND INVERTING IT ON A PLATE. TOP WITH AN EGG ( POACH OR FRIED).
- ARRANGE THE COOKED MEAT AROUND THE RICE AND PLACE AN EGG (POACHED OR PAN-FRIED) ON TOP, THEN ARRANGE THE SAUTEED BEEF AROUND THE RICE OR JUST DO YOUR OWN THING WITH IT. SERVE THIS WITH A HOT CUP OF COFFEE.
- NOTE: YOU CAN ADD A LITTLE TOMATO SAUCE OR ADD MORE WATER IF YOU WANT IT SAUCE-Y.