Kimchi is a Korean side dish which is a fermented vegetable, commonly napa cabbage. It’s seasoned with lots of spices and aged to let the flavors marry really well for a delicious hot and spicy compliment to grilled or fried meat dishes.
I wish I could say that I enjoy eating kimchi by itself like a lot of people do ..sadly I don’t but I do love kimchi when stir-fried with rice or when it’s in a ramen.
Kimchi rice is simple to make, another reason why I like it so much. I learned to make this from a friend, who’s always so generous with sharing her recipe for simple delicious dishes..just like me ;).
She gave me the recipe verbally, which is not a problem because like I said this is easy and.. delicious as you will find out for yourself after giving it a try.
The recipe below is just a guide, you may add some meat like precooked chicken or pork or tuna and it’s a meal by itself. I like to add turmeric powder when using white rice, for color when I ran out of black rice.
Have fun cooking!
- Range Oven
- Wooden Spoon
- Saute Pan
- Chef Knife
- Measure Cup
- 1 cup Kimchi napa cabbage or radish / chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 pc Onion large size / chopped
- Rice cooked / white, black, purple or brown will do
- Olive Oil extra virgin
- Soy Sauce to taste
- Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds
- Red Pepper Chili Flakes
- Turmeric Powder
- Heat some olive oil and sesame oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic, then the onion, cook for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Add chopped kimchi, cook until kimchi is heated through.
- Add cooked rice, add some or all of the liquid from the kimchi.
- Season with soy sauce and ground black pepper.
- add in some sesame seeds, if using.
- I like to add turmeric powder too for color. That's it.
- Do a taste-test before serving. Enjoy!!