I’ve never heard of Eton Mess before until Nigella Lawson ( aka Kitchen Goddess, whom I adore ) posted this on her facebook page. I knew I just had to make it; and not just because I love strawberries but also because it has got to be one of the easiest, yummiest dessert ever! Strawberrries are simply delicious with cream but adding meringue cookies makes it even better..a whole lot BETTER, I must say! I did skimp on the cream on this though, well, I am not getting any younger so I’m trying to cut back on cream as much as I can ( or hate to).
I halved the recipe to make 4 smaller servings..I hope I can find strawberries again in the supermarket so I can make this on Valentine’s Day or I may just use mangoes instead which is equally delicious for me 🙂
let strawberries macerate while you whip the cream and crush the meringue cookies
put ’em all together and scoop into serving glasses..et voila un delicieux dessert pour votre famille ( I’m not so sure if my French grammar is correct ^^ )
ETON MESS (Strawberries and Cream plus Meringue Cookies)
2 cups strawberries
1 teaspoon caster or vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons pomegranate juice ( I used sparkling grape juice; I think OJ, cranberry or apple juice should be fine too)
2/3 cup all-purpose cream
meringue cookies ( I don’t know how many I actually used; use as many as you like too), store-bought or make your own in advance or this dessert won’t be as easy and quick anymore 😉
Hull and chop the strawberries and put into a bowl and add the sugar and juice and leave to macerate while you whip the cream.
Whip the cream in a large bowl until thick but still soft. Roughly crumble in 4 of the meringues nests – you will need chunks for texture as well as a little fine dust.
Take out about half a cupful of the chopped strawberries, and fold the meringue cream and rest of the fruit mixture together.
Arrange on 4 serving plates or glasses or in a mound, and top each with some of the remaining macerated strawberries.
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 2 CUPS STRAWBERRIES
- 1 TEASPOON CASTER OR VANILLA SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS POMEGRANATE JUICE I USED SPARKLING GRAPE JUICE; I THINK OJ, CRANBERRY OR APPLE JUICE SHOULD BE FINE TOO
- 2/3 CUP ALL-PURPOSE CREAM
- MERINGUE COOKIES I DON’T KNOW HOW MANY I ACTUALLY USED; USE AS MANY AS YOU LIKE TOO, STORE-BOUGHT OR MAKE YOUR OWN IN ADVANCE OR THIS DESSERT WON’T BE AS EASY AND QUICK ANYMORE 😉
- HULL AND CHOP THE STRAWBERRIES AND PUT INTO A BOWL AND ADD THE SUGAR AND JUICE AND LEAVE TO MACERATE WHILE YOU WHIP THE CREAM.
- WHIP THE CREAM IN A LARGE BOWL UNTIL THICK BUT STILL SOFT. ROUGHLY CRUMBLE IN 4 OF THE MERINGUES NESTS – YOU WILL NEED CHUNKS FOR TEXTURE AS WELL AS A LITTLE FINE DUST.
- TAKE OUT ABOUT HALF A CUPFUL OF THE CHOPPED STRAWBERRIES, AND FOLD THE MERINGUE CREAM AND REST OF THE FRUIT MIXTURE TOGETHER.
- ARRANGE ON 4 SERVING PLATES OR GLASSES OR IN A MOUND, AND TOP EACH WITH SOME OF THE REMAINING MACERATED STRAWBERRIES