Meringue cookies are quite intimidating to make but it’s actually very easy once you get the hang of it. Here are some really important tips to make a fool-proof meringue cookies:
Make sure that the bowl you’ll be using is metal and very clean; it must be free of oil/grease ( rinse it with vinegar to be sure);
Egg whites must be fresh and at room temperature;
Use very fine sugar;
If you think that you followed the recipe and the tips above to the letter and still your meringue cookies didn’t turn out right; well, you’re not alone…I know the feeling and all I can say is keep on trying, that’s what I do; sometimes you think you did everything right but it may not be the case.
I’ve made meringue cookies a few times before I finally made it right – crisp outside and chewy inside- but I’ve yet to make them as fluffy white but I kind of like them just the way they always turn out – a light coffee color.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed until thick and frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) plain or star tip and pipe mounds onto the baking sheet or simply spoon mounds of meringue, using two spoons, onto the prepared sheets.
- Before placing the cookies on the cookie sheet, place a little of the meringue on the underside of each corner of the parchment paper. This will prevent the paper from sliding.
- Bake the meringues for approximately 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, rotating the baking sheet from front to back (about half way through) to ensure even baking.
- The meringues are done when they are pale in color and fairly crisp.
- Turn off the oven, open the door a crack, and leave the meringues in the oven to finish drying overnight.