Finally, I have a reason to make this sinfully rich cake. Kulinarya Cooking Club’s theme/challenge for this month is all about decadence. What makes this cake so rich is the Mousseline buttercream, it has a total of 6 egg yolks in it and a cup of butter..yeah, it’s that rich. That’s why I cheated a little here (and that’s also why my cake is not as tall and elegant as it should have been, it’s supposed to have 12 layers) since the whole cake is just too much for 4 persons .
So, I only made half the recipe ( Am I not the queen of halving recipes or what), and did a mixture of whole egg and yolks in the buttercream (the original recipe though uses all whole eggs but it’s such a waste not to use the egg yolks, at least some of it).
So what is Sans Rival? I understand a tiny bit of French and I thinks it means without rival/competition, or in other words..a cake above the rest. I remember this cake being so popular in the 80’s and it’s one of my family’s favorite cake from Goldilocks Bakeshop. It’s a cashew meringue torte with several layers; thin meringue cakes are layered with rich Mousseline buttercream and sprinkled with more cashews in between layers…ooooohhhh!!
This cake is definitely for sharing, perfect for when you have guests or company. I don’t know when I’ll be making this again but I’m glad that I made it already and it’s been crossed out from my list of must-try recipes. 🙂
I was only able to take a few photos…my camera’s battery ran out while making this cake
Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff , add ground cashew nuts
Pour into baking trays and spread thinly and evenly..
Let’s jump to the buttercream…here’s the syrup – careful, it’s very hot!!
add the very hot syrup to the frothy eggs (or egg yolks)..turn the speed of your mixer to high
..and beat sugar and egg until it’s smooth; then gradually add butter when the mixture has cooled, beat until smooth and creamy..and now my camera’s dead..
..and here’s the cake..it’s been chilled and sliced and ready to be eaten! Have some..it’s so yummy! 🙂
adapted from Kulinarya – A Guidebook to Philipine Cuisine
Note: I did not write the recipe word for word from the book, you will see minor changes or omitted parts- this is to make it easier for me to understand for future references. ( feel free to correct me if I made a mistake or omitted an ingredient/s. thanks!)
For the Meringue
1 cup egg whites ( 7-8 eggs)
1 cup sugar
2 cups cashew nuts, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Buttercream (Mousseline Buttercream)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
6 eggyolks ( or use 3 whole eggs)
1 cup butter
butter, about 3 tablespoons; softened for greasing pan
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees or 180 C degrees.
Grease three 9×13 baking trays with softened butter ( I use a paper napkin to make it easier to spread), line with tray with parchment paper then grease and flour the paper.
Ground one cup of cashew nuts finely; then coarsely chop the other cup of cashew nuts and divide it into 6 portions. Set aside.
In the bowl of your mixer, beat egg whites and a pinch of salt until frothy then gradually add 1 cup of sugar and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Stir in the vanilla extract and fold in the finely ground cashew nuts (one cup). Divide the egg white mixture (meringue) among the 3 trays, spreading it thinly and evenly. Bake until lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes. Immediately remove baked meringue from the tray and cool on wire racks.
While the cake is cooling..
Make the Mousseline Buttercream:
Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring gently with your finger to dissolve the sugar, make sure though that no sugar sticks to the side of the pan to avoid crystallization. Bring sugar mixture to a rapid boil ( threadlike consistency). Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks ( or whole eggs) until frothy ( use whip attachment of your mixer). Pour the boiled sugar syrup into the egg yolks gradually, put the speed of your mixer to high. Beat until the mixture has cooled then add butter ( room temperature), one tablespoon at a time, beat until creamy and smooth. Divide buttercream into 6 portions.
Assembling the Cake:
Cut each meringue into 2 making a total of 6 meringue layers.
Place one layer of meringue on a platter, spread with one part of buttercream and sprinkle with 1 portion of the coarsely chopped cashew nuts. Repeat this step until all the layers are used up. Chill cake until ready to serve; cut into squares.
Whew! Now get yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy your cake with your loved ones. 🙂
Happy Easter!! I love you, Jesus!! 🙂
Sans Rival (For KCC - April 2011)
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 F DEGREES OR 180 C DEGREES.
- GREASE THREE 9×13 BAKING TRAYS WITH SOFTENED BUTTER ( I USE A PAPER NAPKIN TO MAKE IT EASIER TO SPREAD), LINE WITH TRAY WITH PARCHMENT PAPER THEN GREASE AND FLOUR THE PAPER.
- GROUND ONE CUP OF CASHEW NUTS FINELY; THEN COARSELY CHOP THE OTHER CUP OF CASHEW NUTS AND DIVIDE IT INTO 6 PORTIONS. SET ASIDE.
- IN THE BOWL OF YOUR MIXER, BEAT EGG WHITES AND A PINCH OF SALT UNTIL FROTHY THEN GRADUALLY ADD 1 CUP OF SUGAR AND CONTINUE BEATING UNTIL STIFF BUT NOT DRY. STIR IN THE VANILLA EXTRACT AND FOLD IN THE FINELY GROUND CASHEW NUTS (ONE CUP). DIVIDE THE EGG WHITE MIXTURE (MERINGUE) AMONG THE 3 TRAYS, SPREADING IT THINLY AND EVENLY. BAKE UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWNED, ABOUT 25-30 MINUTES. IMMEDIATELY REMOVE BAKED MERINGUE FROM THE TRAY AND COOL ON WIRE RACKS.
- WHILE THE CAKE IS COOLING..
- MAKE THE MOUSSELINE BUTTERCREAM:
- COMBINE WATER AND SUGAR IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN, STIRRING GENTLY WITH YOUR FINGER TO DISSOLVE THE SUGAR, MAKE SURE THOUGH THAT NO SUGAR STICKS TO THE SIDE OF THE PAN TO AVOID CRYSTALLIZATION. BRING SUGAR MIXTURE TO A RAPID BOIL ( THREADLIKE CONSISTENCY). MEANWHILE, BEAT THE EGG YOLKS ( OR WHOLE EGGS) UNTIL FROTHY ( USE WHIP ATTACHMENT OF YOUR MIXER). POUR THE BOILED SUGAR SYRUP INTO THE EGG YOLKS GRADUALLY, PUT THE SPEED OF YOUR MIXER TO HIGH. BEAT UNTIL THE MIXTURE HAS COOLED THEN ADD BUTTER ( ROOM TEMPERATURE), ONE TABLESPOON AT A TIME, BEAT UNTIL CREAMY AND SMOOTH. DIVIDE BUTTERCREAM INTO 6 PORTIONS.
- ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:
- CUT EACH MERINGUE INTO 2 MAKING A TOTAL OF 6 MERINGUE LAYERS.
- PLACE ONE LAYER OF MERINGUE ON A PLATTER, SPREAD WITH ONE PART OF BUTTERCREAM AND SPRINKLE WITH 1 PORTION OF THE COARSELY CHOPPED CASHEW NUTS. REPEAT THIS STEP UNTIL ALL THE LAYERS ARE USED UP. CHILL CAKE UNTIL READY TO SERVE; CUT INTO SQUARES.
- WHEW! NOW GET YOURSELF A CUP OF COFFEE AND ENJOY YOUR CAKE WITH YOUR LOVED ONES. 🙂