A bit of instant yeast makes this sourdough pizza crust quicker and easier to make. Fermentation and proving time is cut short which means no overnight prep for this pizza to get it ready.
I prefer this recipe when making pizza; while I like the one leaven with just wild yeast too, I find that the taste and texture of the pizza crust leavened with just wild yeast is the same as the one with with a bit of instant yeast added to t the dough.
The taste and texture are both really good but the prep time and difficulty are not. I choose the simple and easier one for now — the one with instant yeast.
I’m not very experienced with handling wet wild yeast dough so when I found this recipe for rustic sourdough bread. The dough is easier to handle and makes really delicious sourdough bread, with consistent result. No need to try other sourdough bread recipes for the meantime.
For the pizza, this yeasted recipe is my current favorite, I made this several times and it gives me great result every time.
It takes a much shorter time to knead (with the help of stand mixer), ferment and prove.
So without further ado, here is the recipe for yeasted sourdough pizza crust. This recipe is adapted from King Arthur’s Flour. It’s a keeper:)
yummy pizza. I love green chili and cheese combo. So good!!
Combine sourdough starter discard, water, flour salt and yeast in the bowl of your stand mixer.
With the dough hook attachment, knead dough for 7 minutes until it wraps itself in the hook
Form dough into a ball and put in an oiled bowl ( I used the same bowl) and cover.
Let dough rise for 2-4 hours or until double in size
Shape into a disc about 14 inches in diameter. You can use a rimmed pan or a half sheet pan.
Let the dough rise to the thickness that you like (I usually leave it for 45 minutes to an hour). Sauce and top as you like, hold the cheese, add it later
I have a pizza stone in the oven but I do not have a peal so I’m using my baking sheet as a peal. I lined it with crumpled parchment paper so it’s easier to slide the pizza to the pizza stone.
There’s my stained pizza stone:) Be careful when doing this, it’s super super hot. My arm accidentally touched the top opening of the oven and I got burned. Luckily, I have aloe plant to soothe my skin.
You can also just use pan, this is easier, like a focaccia with lots of topping:) Bake for 10 minutes
..take out of the oven and add the cheese
Bake for 5-7 minutes more
..or until cheese is melted. Take out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Yeasted Sourdough Pizza
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- Stir your sourdough starter before measuring 1 cup (227 g) into the bowl of your stand mixer (note– this is the best time to feed remaining sourdough starter)
- Add water, flour, salt and instant yeast.
- Mix to combine then knead with the dough hook attachment until dough wraps itself around the hook and cleans the side of the bowl.
- Place the dough in a greassed container, cover and let rise until double in bulk. About 2-4 hours.
- Place the dough in a 14-inch round pizza pan or an 18×13 half sheet pan.
- Press the dough out to the edges of the pan, if it starts to snap back, give it another 15-minute rest before continuing.
- Cover the pan and let dough rise until it is as thick as you like.
- Towards the end of the rise, preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sauce and top as you like, but do not add the cheese yet.
- Bake for 10 minutes before removing from the oven and adding the cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for 5-7 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Leftover pizza can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.