Homemade Skinless Longganisa ( Filipino Breakfast Sausage)

Longganisa is Filipino breakfast sausage- a garlic-ky, somewhat sweet and peppery sausage- it’s usually paired with sunny-side up egg and garlic fried rice with slices of tomatoes – we call this breakfast “combo meal” longsilog ( longganisa, sinangag ( fried rice), itlog ( egg) ); a typical Filipino breakfast.  I love it when the sugar in the longganisa caramelizes as it cooks and coat the skin/casing as it slowly fries in its own oil.. yum!

I can’t make real longganisa like the ones sold in the market, it’s like next to impossible for me to find the casing (pig intestine), meat vendors don’t usually sell it because they need it to make ..longganisa, of course!   So I had to settle for skinless sausage to make at home and I’m happy that I ( I think)  finally nailed the longganisa recipe to my liking, yay! ^-^

I like to use lean ground pork although ideally when making sausage, any sausage, you should have about 30 percent of fat in it to make the sausage juicy; I compensate by frying my homemade sausage in heart-friendly fat like EVOO.

wrap’ em in parchment paper and put in zip bag and store in the freezer ..don’t know exactly for how long it stays good, ours seem to disappear in less than a week, no matter how much I make

1 kilo ( 2.2 lbs ) ground pork
1 head garlic, minced, or 3 teaspoons granulated garlic
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon oregano powder
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
EVOO for frying

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Do a taste test first by frying a small amount; if you’re satisfied,  wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap like sausage or just shape into disc like a burger patty and store in the freezer.

To cook, simply heat some EVOO or any cooking oil in a frying pan, and fry longganisa/sausage until it caramelizes and browned..you’ll love the smell :)

Garlic Fried Rice

cooked rice, we usually use left-over rice from last night’s dinner
garlic, lots of it, minced
EVOO (olive oil)

Soften left-over rice by gently crushing them with your wet hands, making sure there are no lumps.  Heat some oil in a deep frying pan ( I usually use the same pan Iuse for the longganisa/sausage) , add minced garlic and saute until lightly browned and fragrant.  Cook, mixing and tossing over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.  Season with salt.

Happy Cooking!

Thanks for your time…have a nice day!! :) ♥

Powered by Facebook Comments

8 Responses to "Homemade Skinless Longganisa ( Filipino Breakfast Sausage)"

1. mira   June 29, 2011 at 6:04 am

thank you so much for this wonderful post, I am thinking of making my own longganisa and selling this to my family and kakilalas.

2. riz   May 28, 2011 at 5:56 am

mine tastes good but unfortunately it didn’t bind..:(

3. apple   November 10, 2010 at 9:08 am

Thanks for this recipe….i did it last weekend and it was a hit!!!! will add a bit of sugar when i make it next time to suit my taste preference (although hubby and sister likes it the way it is). Thanks to you, my craving for longganisa was satisfied:)

4. Ram   October 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I love longganisa but from where I am here in the States, I don’t have any access to it. Thank you for posting this recipe. My only question is, does it separate when you cook it since it doesn’t have any binder like egg or bread crumbs, I’m thinking like making meatloaf or meatballs. Thanks.

• Olive   October 2, 2010 at 9:11 am

no, it doesn’t separate or crumble when you cook it, just make sure you roll it pretty tight so it’ll keep its shape and let it rest in the fridge/ freezer before cooking so the flavors will also have time to “marry” :)

for meatballs, I usually don’t add any egg either just bread soaked in milk and it’s fine too, it keeps its shape when you fry it BUT if you’re going to put it in a soup, add an egg/s. ..meatloaf is a different story, I think you need to add a couple of eggs because it’s baked/steamed in a loaf pan and is quite heavy, it might separate..happened to me when I made rellenong bangus ( stuffed milkfish), I forgot to add the egg and it was a mess when I sliced it

Thanks Ram, let me know how it goes.. if you have time :)

5. natalie   September 30, 2010 at 12:10 am

you can find casing in South Supermarket in Alabang.

6. mommy D   September 27, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Making my own longganisa now means i’m really sure its less fat, and safely made. Thanks!

7. Joy   September 16, 2010 at 9:51 am

I love making my own longoniza. Isn’t it great?