These truffles were made from my leftover chocolate filling for the milan cookies. I didn’t get to use much of it because I only had few cookies that were “perfect”.
Truffles are easy to do, but it can get pretty messy especially if you have warm hands like me, it will help if you touch something cold first before you roll the ganache into balls.
There are only two basic ingredients in truffles, the heavy cream and the chocolate, others are just enhancements so the quality of the chocolate you use will have a great effect on the taste of your truffles, so if you want really, really good truffles, use really, really good chocolates.
As I’ve said, I made these from leftover chocolate filling, below is a basic truffle recipe based on that filling, you may add some coffee liquor or brandy or rum to enhance and compliment the taste of chocolate but since I have children at home, I couldn’t do that.
BASIC CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE RECIPE
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped finely
1-2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, or 1/2 teaspoon coffee powder, optional
For coatings use any of these:
unsweetened cocoa, sifted
icing sugar, sifted
unsweetened dessicated coconut
Here’s how you do it:
Put heavy cream in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from
heat and pour cream over chocolate in a bowl,stir to melt chocolate; add cofee liqueur if using and blend well.
Let it cool to room temperature, cover and chill for about 4 hours
or until firm. Scoop a tablespoonful at a time and quickly form it into a ball, put on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper repeat until all the chocolate mixture is used up.
Chill it again for 30 minutes to an hour.
In the meantime prepare the coatings that you want to use. Put them in separate bowls if you’re using more than one.
To coat the truffles, roll until fully covered in separate bowls of whatever coatings you’re using: cocoa powder, chopped nuts, or grated chocolate and coconuts. Cover and chill.
This can keep for a week in the fridge, stored in a tightly covered container.
That’s basically it.
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- PUT HEAVY CREAM IN A HEAVY SAUCEPAN AND BRING TO A BOIL. REMOVE FROM
- HEAT AND POUR CREAM OVER CHOCOLATE IN A BOWL,STIR TO MELT CHOCOLATE; ADD COFEE LIQUEUR IF USING AND BLEND WELL.
- LET IT COOL TO ROOM TEMPERATURE, COVER AND CHILL FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS
- OR UNTIL FIRM. SCOOP A TABLESPOONFUL AT A TIME AND QUICKLY FORM IT INTO A BALL, PUT ON A PLATE OR BAKING SHEET LINED WITH PARCHMENT PAPER REPEAT UNTIL ALL THE CHOCOLATE MIXTURE IS USED UP.
- CHILL IT AGAIN FOR 30 MINUTES TO AN HOUR.
- IN THE MEANTIME PREPARE THE COATINGS THAT YOU WANT TO USE. PUT THEM IN SEPARATE BOWLS IF YOU’RE USING MORE THAN ONE.
- TO COAT THE TRUFFLES, ROLL UNTIL FULLY COVERED IN SEPARATE BOWLS OF WHATEVER COATINGS YOU’RE USING: COCOA POWDER, CHOPPED NUTS, OR GRATED CHOCOLATE AND COCONUTS. COVER AND CHILL.
- THIS CAN KEEP FOR A WEEK IN THE FRIDGE, STORED IN A TIGHTLY COVERED CONTAINER.