Macaroni soup or simply sopas as we call it is perfect for cold rainy days like we had this weekend. My kids love this milky pasta soup and I made this especially for just the two of them. This soup is very hearty, it’s healthy and nutritious, it’s got everything in it – meat, veggies, milk and pasta– perfect for kids.
I grew up on this soup, I eat this with rice and fried fish on the side for lunch and snack on the leftover in the afternoon when I was little. How time flies, now I am the one making this for my own kids. I love watching them eat the same soup I used to enjoy once; I can see how happy they were, sitting together, laughing and enjoying their soup. I wish they’ll always like that- happy and contented.
If you’re not familiar with this dish, I suggest you give this a try. It may not look much (that’s because of my “talent” in food styling and photography LOL) but it is delicious and so easy to make, too. And I’m not just saying that, it really is. You most likely have all the ingredients at hand to make this. Do give it a try, you and your family will like it especially the kids. 🙂
Here’s How to make Macaroni Soup
saute onion and macaroni, add chicken stock
bring to boil, halfway through cooking add shredded chicken, simmer..
add cabbage, cook for about 2 minutes..
then add milk and vienna sausage
that’ s it! Cool a little before serving and top with slices of boiled egg
RECIPE FOR MACARONI SOUP (SOPAS)
1 cup macaroni pasta
1 medium onion, mince
3-4 cups chicken stock
3 ounces cooked chicken meat, shredded or 4-6 ounces bone-in chicken piece/s, boil and shred meat, reserve broth
1 small carrot, about 2.5 ounces
4 ounces cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
granulated garlic ( I used this instead of fresh because it’s more kid- friendly)
sea salt and pepper to taste or fish sauce (patis)
3/4- 1 cup evaporated milk or full cream milk
2-3 pieces of vienna sausage, sliced
1 boiled egg, sliced for garnish
note: I made this using leftover chicken which I shredded. You can of course boil 1-2 pieces bone-in chicken part/s and shred the meat; the broth can be used as chicken stock or in addition to it.
In a 2-quart saucepan or pot, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil. In it saute minced onion, carrots and uncooked macaroni; sprinkle about a teaspoon of granulated garlic and season with a little salt and pepper, cook for about a minute.
Pour in the 3 cups of chicken stock; bring to a boil and lower the heat a little and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the cooked chicken, simmer for about 2 minutes then add the cabbage, simmer for a couple of minutes then add milk and vienna sausage. Have a taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Cook for a few minutes more or until pasta is tender.
Let cool a little before serving. Garnish with slices of boiled egg.
Macaroni Soup (Sopas)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 CUP MACARONI PASTA
- 1 MEDIUM ONION MINCE
- 3-4 CUPS CHICKEN STOCK
- 3 OUNCES COOKED CHICKEN MEAT SHREDDED OR 4-6 OUNCES BONE-IN CHICKEN PIECE/S, BOIL AND SHRED MEAT, RESERVE BROTH
- 1 SMALL CARROT ABOUT 2.5 OUNCES
- 4 OUNCES CABBAGE THINLY SLICED OR SHREDDED
- GRANULATED GARLIC I USED THIS INSTEAD OF FRESH BECAUSE IT’S MORE KID- FRIENDLY
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE OR FISH SAUCE PATIS
- 3/4- 1 CUP EVAPORATED MILK OR FULL CREAM MILK
- 2-3 PIECES OF VIENNA SAUSAGE SLICED
- 1 BOILED EGG SLICED FOR GARNISH
- NOTE: I MADE THIS USING LEFTOVER CHICKEN WHICH I SHREDDED. YOU CAN OF COURSE BOIL 1-2 PIECES BONE-IN CHICKEN PART/S AND SHRED THE MEAT; THE BROTH CAN BE USED AS CHICKEN STOCK OR IN ADDITION TO IT.
- IN A 2-QUART SAUCEPAN OR POT, HEAT ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF OLIVE OIL. IN IT SAUTE MINCED ONION, CARROTS AND UNCOOKED MACARONI; SPRINKLE ABOUT A TEASPOON OF GRANULATED GARLIC AND SEASON WITH A LITTLE SALT AND PEPPER, COOK FOR ABOUT A MINUTE.
- POUR IN THE 3 CUPS OF CHICKEN STOCK; BRING TO A BOIL AND LOWER THE HEAT A LITTLE AND LET IT SIMMER FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES. ADD THE COOKED CHICKEN, SIMMER FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES THEN ADD THE CABBAGE, SIMMER FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES THEN ADD MILK AND VIENNA SAUSAGE. HAVE A TASTE AND ADJUST SEASONING ACCORDINGLY. COOK FOR A FEW MINUTES MORE OR UNTIL PASTA IS TENDER.
- LET COOL A LITTLE BEFORE SERVING. GARNISH WITH SLICES OF BOILED EGG.