This is Food Network’s Giada de Laurentiis’ recipe for Simple Tomato Sauce. I always make a batch of this whenever I have the time and store it in the fridge or in the freezer.
This is great for those time that I’m too busy (or more likely,too lazy) to cook, I just cook some pasta, heat some of this sauce and maybe just add some tuna or ham and voila, dinner is served!
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick.
- Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
- If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
- Add half the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
- If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags.
- This recipe will yield 6 cups of tomato sauce and will freeze up to 6 months.