I had some strawberries and the easiest dessert I could think of at that time is chocolate zabalione, it’s easy, no baking or long chilling time ( zabaglione can be served warm or chilled); I prepared this before dinner and put it in the fridge while we’re eating.
Zabaglione is an Italian mousse-like custard sauce that is so velvety-delicious. It’s made of egg yolks, Marsala and sugar. I don’t have Marsala so what I usually use in making zabaglione is rum. But here I used sparkling grape juice.
combine egg yolks, sugar and grape juice in a bowl, set bowl over boiling pot of water
whisk continously until very frothy or triple in volume
combine with the melted chocolate
pour over strawberries… enjoy!
STRAWBERRIES with CHOCOLATE ZABAGLIONE
2 tablespoons whipping cream, or heavy cream
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips ( I use bittersweet chocolate)
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dry Marsala ( I use red sparkling grape juice or rum )
fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
Add cream and chocolate to a heavy small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, Marsala, and salt in a large glass bowl until blended. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, but do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Whisk the egg mixture over the simmering water until it is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Using a large rubber spatula, fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
Divide the strawberries among 6 coupe dishes. Pour the warm zabaglione over the strawberries and serve.
Giada's Chocolate Zabaglione Recipe
- 2 TABLESPOONS WHIPPING CREAM OR HEAVY CREAM
- 1/3 CUP SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS I USE BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE
- 4 LARGE EGG YOLKS
- 1/4 CUP SUGAR
- 1/2 CUP DRY MARSALA I USE RED SPARKLING GRAPE JUICE OR RUM
- PINCH SALT
- FRESH STRAWBERRIES HULLED AND QUARTERED
- ADD CREAM AND CHOCOLATE TO A HEAVY SMALL SAUCEPAN. COOK OVER LOW HEAT, STIRRING OFTEN, UNTIL THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS ARE MELTED AND SMOOTH. SET ASIDE AND KEEP WARM.
- WHISK THE EGG YOLKS, SUGAR, MARSALA, AND SALT IN A LARGE GLASS BOWL UNTIL BLENDED. SET THE BOWL OVER A SAUCEPAN OF SIMMERING WATER, BUT DO NOT ALLOW THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL TO TOUCH THE WATER. WHISK THE EGG MIXTURE OVER THE SIMMERING WATER UNTIL IT IS THICK AND CREAMY, ABOUT 4 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM THE HEAT.
- USING A LARGE RUBBER SPATULA, FOLD THE MELTED CHOCOLATE MIXTURE INTO THE EGG MIXTURE.
- DIVIDE THE STRAWBERRIES AMONG 6 COUPE DISHES. POUR THE WARM ZABAGLIONE OVER THE STRAWBERRIES AND SERVE.