No cocoa, no eggs..no problem! You can still make chocolate cupcakes sans those ingredients. I didn’t think that it would work but I still went ahead and use milo powder as a substitute when I ran out of cocoa.. I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out so moist and delicious!
[note: this is not a promotion for Milo, you can try using Ovaltine or any chocolate powder drink]
I normally do away with frosting or icing for these cupcakes, if I do decide to add some frosting, it’s almost always chocolate ganache (my favorite), if I feel like it; then I came across this great idea for a no-fuss frosting for cupcakes: melted marshmallow!
Just put a piece of marshmallow on top of each cupcake and just broil it for about a minute or until it’s soft..et voila, a yummy icing that took almost no time to make…it’s ingenious, (thanks to realsimple ♥)… try it and spread the word too!
put all dry ingredients in one bowl..mix to combine
add the oil and chocolate drink, mix then quickly stir in the vinegar
pour into muffin pans and bake
take cupcakes out of the oven when done and top each one with marshmallow
put the pan back in the oven to melt or soften the marshmallow..
then using 2 fingers ( mr. pointy man and tall man) lightly and gently press on top of the mallows to flatten it, be careful..ti’s hot!
put some chocolate chips on top,or anything that you like..go crazy ;O Enjoy!
Milo Cupcakes with Melted Marshmallow Frosting
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Milo powder or use cocoa powder if you have some for a more chocolatey taste
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Milo milk drink 6 tablespoons Milo powder + 3 tablespoons milk powder + 1 cup warm water*
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 12 pieces large marshmallows for topping
- chocolate chips for garnish optional
- * you may also use lukewarm fresh milk instead of milk powder
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and line medium cupcake tins with papers.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in separate bowl, except for the vinegar.
- Slowly add your wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until everything is combined, but do not overmix - a few lumps are okay.
- Add the vinegar and quickly stir in.
- Pour batter into the pans and immediately and put them in the oven. Bake for about 15 -20 minutes.
- Take cupcakes out of the oven and put one marshmallow on top of each cupcake and put the pan back in the oven for more or less one minute just to soften the marshmallows.
- Take the pan out of the oven and lightly press two fingers on top of the mallows to flatten it, be careful because it's melted inside and really hot!
- Top each cupcake with a few pieces of chocolate chips for garnish, if you want. Enjoy!
♥ Have a nice day! 🙂 GOD Bless!! 🙂 ♥