I first saw this lovely, scoop-able frozen dessert from one of Jamie Oliver‘s shows, I can’t remember when but it seems ages ago. Anyways, I thought..wow, you could practically make ice cream without an ice cream machine?! Of course, I have to try it..took me forever to finally do it though (I’ve a looooooong list of must-try recipes). Well, it is super-good and quite simple to make, too.
I found that you can make plain semifreddo with any flavor that you choose, much like ice cream but I like Jamie’s chunky version with loads of different delicious bits of chocolate and candies but I added candied almonds,chocolate and graham crackers instead. Yum!!
I made it using the same recipe, twice. The first time, I followed the recipe directions exactly but this time, instead of separately beating the egg whites and folding it into the yolk mixture before folding in the cream -which is one step too many for me- I made a short-cut by beating the whole eggs and sugar to ribbon stage and just fold the cream and the rest of the ingredients to finish. Same result…delicious!
Here it is:
Slice it or scoop it! Why don’t you try making it too..it’s worth it and it’s not difficult at all but you’re gonna make some mess in the kitchen for sure! 😀
Beat eggs and sugar to ribbon stage-very light and fluffy and almost white in color-then fold in the whipped cream
next, the crushed graham crackers..
..the candied almonds
..and the bitter-sweet chocolate
then put it into a loaf pan, or any container that you have that is freezer-safe.
..put semifreddo in the freezer for at least four hours..you may keep it for up several days, I kept it for about a week
delicious, creamy and melts in your mouth..
Semifreddo (Italian Frozen Dessert)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1/4 cup fine sugar
- • 2 large eggs
- • 2500ml double cream
- • 100g graham crackers crumbs
- • 100g good-quality dark or bitter-sweet chocolate grated or bashed up
- • Zest of 1 orange finely grated, optional
- • 150g candied flaked almonds or any nuts that you like
- Put a large shallow-ish earthenware dish or a big loaf pan lined with cling wrap into the freezer to chill.
- To make the semifreddo you’ll need 3 large bowls. Whisk the sugar and egg yolks in the largest bowl until pale, creamy and almost doubled in size. This will take a few minutes but don’t be tempted to cheat; this is what will make your semifreddo lovely and light.
- In a second bowl, whip up the cream until you get soft peaks forming on the end of your whisk. Don’t over-whip though – it’s better loose than thick. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt in your third bowl until you get very firm stiff peaks.
- Add the cream and egg whites to the sugar and egg yolks. Add the graham crackers, chocolate and orange zest, then gently fold into the creamy mixture. Mix in most of the nuts, reserving a handful for serving. Working quickly, scoop your semifreddo into your pre-frozen earthenware dish, or a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap and return it to the freezer as soon as you can. It will take at least 4 hours to freeze until firm.
- Take the semifreddo out of the freezer and pop it into the fridge for about 20 minutes before you serve it, so it goes from being hard to being lovely and scoop-able.