You’ve probably seen this cake around the web, the rose cake..it’s pretty isn’t it? Of course I have to make it too cause I just love dainty, pretty, and swirly cakes! I was thinking of making chocolate cake at first because it’s my favorite but I’m not sure my whipped chocolate ganache will hold the shape of roses so I decided to make red velvet which is perfect for this cake design; it’s easy enough to make with just one layer of cake. I used my own cream cheese frosting which is a dream to work with though I have yet to try making a taller cake to see if the piped roses on the sides will stay in place, otherwise I may have to use a firmer icing. For now, I’m happy with this cake; it’s pretty, delicious and easy to make.. so perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day and for girls’ birthdays. 😀
cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition
add dry ingredients alternately with
pour batter in pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
Make frosting, cover cake with thin coat of icing; and using Wilton 1M tip or 2D tip, pipe roses on the sides first then on the top, do the edges first and work your way in.
..admire, slice and enjoy your beautiful work! 🙂
Red Velvet Rose Cake
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 tablespoon lemon juice + enough evaporated milk to make 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons red food color/gel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose cream
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees (175 C degrees ) and place rack in center of oven. Line and grease sides of two 8" or 9" pan.
- In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg, beating well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
- In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for about 5 minutes in the pan before inverting them in a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until free of lumps, add sifted confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth, add double cream or all-purpose cream and vanilla extract; continue beating until smooth and creamy.