I have been craving apple pie lately but I’m too lazy to bake, because it’s too hot these days and turning on the oven just makes the matter worst. I’ve been buying pocket pies from McDonald’s but it’s deep-fried and they’re not really healthy especially if consumed regularly. So, I thought of making apple crumble, apple pie’s easy-to-make cousin. To make it really quick, I cut the apples into small and thin slices and pre-cooked them and make the crumb topping while it’s cooking. It’s done in under half an hour. I left them to cool while I fetch my kids from school and we devoured them after dinner. It was really good I wished I made more haha but that would defeat the purpose of my using the oven-toaster. Besides I find that this is a good way to control our dessert consumption– make just enough for one sitting. No left-overs, no raiding the fridge late at night! 🙂
mix topping ingredients in a bowl stir before adding slightly cooled melted butter
pre-cook apples and put in the baking dish
add crumb toppings and stick it in the oven-toaster just until it browns
Oven-toaster apple crumble with Pecans
- Wash and peel the apples. Cut into quarters, then cut each quarter in half then slice thinly for faster cooking.
- Combine apple slices, brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a medium saucepan; cook until apples are soft but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the topping in a bowl; adding the melted butter last.
- Transfer cooked apples in ramekins or any ceramic or oven-proof container small enough to fit inside your oven-toaster. Sprinkle topping on top and bake until browned. It'll only take about 10 minutes or less.
- Let cool before serving. Serve with ice cream or frozen yogurt if you like.