I saw this on Mad Hungry with Lucinda Scala Quinn, it was my first time to catch the show and it was an instant like for me! I happened to watch an episode with her mom where they made grilled lamb, stuffed artichoke and this salad – tabbouleh.
I’ve seen tabbouleh in some food blogs before but I never really paid it much interest but seeing it being made by Lucinda and her mom and listening to their stories made me want to make it, too plus the tabbouleh looks so deliciously colorful that I wanted to make it right away.
It was easy enough to find bulgur wheat and surprise, surprise at the back of the packaging, there was a recipe for tabbouleh too oh, but I chose to use the one from Mad Hungry with a slight change, I followed the cooking instruction at the package for tabbouleh and used hot boiling water to soak it instead of cold water…
I over-soaked the bulgur wheat but I still used it, such a waste not to.
My kids didn’t really like it, and I expected that but at least they ate it just the same.. they’ll learn to appreciate it eventually (hopefully) just like me before whenever my mother prepared something new for us to try.
I like this salad though I’ll hold back some of the lemon juice next time..
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- ½ cup Bulgur Wheat
- 2 pcs Tomatoes diced / 1 ½ cups
- 3 pcs Scallions both white and green parts, trimmed and thinly sliced / 1 cup
- 3 cups Curly Parsley fresh / stems removed / chopped
- 1 Cucumber peeled and diced / 1 cup
- ½ cup Mint Leaves fresh / chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Lemon Zest fresh / grated
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice fresh
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- ¼ teaspoon Coarse Salt to taste
- Rinse the bulgur wheat in cold running water.
- Soak in a bowl of hot water for an hour.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, scallions, parsley, cucumber, and mint.
- Toss together.
- Whisk together the lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and salt.
- Stir the dressing into the salad to fully combine.