I was supposed to post this last Valentine’s Day.. and last Easter too, but I couldn’t find the time to finish it. Anyways here it is..cake pops!
I’m pretty sure you’ve seen a lot of recipes of this already and basically they are all the same..Cake, icing and white chocolate or candy melts for color variety.
I used homebaked cake but you don’t even have to do any baking, just buy an un-frosted cake from any bakeshop, the icing is super easy, there are ready-made too, if you really don’t want to sweat it in the kitchen and all you have to do is just mix the finely crumbled cake and frosting, form into balls and dip ’em in melted chocolate.
Sounds easy, right?! For simple ones, yes it is easy though I find the process of putting the cake ball into the stick and make it stay there a real challenge – it’s like the New Year’s Eve ball slowly sliding down..*sigh*
I’m clearly not Bakerella..check out her blog (if you haven’t yet) and be inspired; she has so many cute and fun ideas for cake pops, don’t be pressured though just be patient, keep it simple and have fun making it!!
- Crumble cake in a large bowl until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add some ganache or frosting and using your clean hands, mix until cake can hold a ball shape.
- You may add some more ganache/frosting if needed just until cake is moist.
- Scoop about a tablespoonful of cake mixture and roll it into a tight ball between your palms and place on a plate.
- Repeat until all the cake mixture has been rolled into balls.
- Melt white chocolate in a double boiler or a thick-bottomed saucepan.
- Dip the tip of the cake pop sticks into the white chocolate and insert into the cake balls about half-way.
- Freeze for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare all of your decorating supplies.
- Remove cake balls from freezer.
- Dip cake balls carefully into the chocolate until covered.
- Let the excess chocolate drip off.
- Swirl and tap gently if needed.
- Add the sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet, It will harden quickly.
- Stick the decorated cake pop into a styrofoam block to finish setting.
- Place into the freezer to speed up setting time.
- Cover with a clear treat bag & ribbon for gift giving, if desired.
- Store in a single layer, in an airtight container.
FOR THE GANACHE:
- Heat a cup of heavy cream in a saucepan until most boiling, then add this to 6 ounces of grated chocolate.
- Let stand for about a minute be for e stirring Until smooth.
- Let cool before using.