I found this recipe from here. I got there looking for other recipe but ended up trying this delicious looking sweet and sour chicken. It’s a bit different from the way usual sweet and sour dishes are cooked, this one is pre-cooked by pan-frying then, baked. I followed the recipe exactly except I added a couple teaspoons of ground cayenne pepper to the sauce, as requested by my husband who is not a big fan of sweet and sour anything but since I like it, he’s okay with it, as long as there’s some heat he’s more than willing to eat it.
So here’s what I ended up with. I used chicken thigh fillet, btw and I think that an hour in the oven is too much, I should have taken them out earlier..about 45 mins or less should have been perfect. I’ll keep in mind next time; this sweet and sour, spicy-hot chicken is so good. Don’t forget to make extra rice 🙂
Happy Cooking! ü
season chicken fillet pieces with salt and pepper, dredge in cornstarch and dip in slightly seasoned eggs
pan-fry coated chicken and lay them in a baking pan; make the sauce and pour over chicken. Put in the preheated oven for 45 mins ( thigh fillet) to an hour (for chicken breast)
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper optional
- chilli flakes for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. While the oil is heating, cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken.
- Whisk the eggs together in a shallow bowl, season lightly with salt and pepper. Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip each piece over to cook on the other side until nicely golden but not all the way cooked through.
- Place chicken pieces in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce.
- Sprinkle baked chicken with chilli flakes, if using before serving over hot, steamed rice. Enjoy! ü