Foccacia is an Italian flat-bread, it is the easiest bread you can make, you let the dough rise (rest) once, punch it down, flatten it and pop it into the oven. It is like a thick pizza sans the pizza sauce and meat toppings. This is best eaten freshly made, seasoned with garlic sea salt and dipped in extra-virgin olive oil with balsamic vinegar.
Have it as a side to pasta, and soups and make sandwiches with it. Super easy to make and highly customizable, just like pizzas. You can add in lots of herbs, just like the recipe below or make it so extra with sun dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, anchovies, ham, lots of cheese or whatever you feel like adding that you happen to have at home at the moment.
Sprinkle with fleur de sel or sea salt. Serve warm with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 2 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon White Sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 dash Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Water warm 105-115 degrees
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Mix the yeast and water in a small bowl.
- Let proof for 10 minutes (until bubbles begin to appear).
- In large bowl, stir together flour, salt, sugar, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil, and black pepper.
- Add the yeast mix and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until dough comes together and appears shaggy
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic for about 5-8 minutes or more.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Punch dough down, place on greased baking sheet.
- Using your finger tips, pat dough and flatten into 1/2-inch thick rectangle (doesn't have to be perfect).
- Using your knuckle, make indentations in the dough about 1/2-inch apart, then prick dough with fork.
- Brush top with olive oil, then sprinkle with Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle with more extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with fleur de sel or sea salt.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!