I’m crazy over shrimp, it’s just sad that my husband (who likes it, too) has allergic reaction to seafood that’s why I couldn’t eat it anymore, too.
But, sometimes he would let me have it when we eat out and one time I ordered Gambas al Ajillo or shrimp in olive oil at our favorite restaurant (it is our favorite restaurant now because of it plus we have a discount card there ahaha), it looks so good that he couldn’t help himself.. he took a bite and got hooked ( he brings antihistamine tablets with him, so no worries, there)!
Okay, since it has become our favorite, of course I have to learn how to make it at home so we can have as much as we like for less than the cost.
I have about a dozen shrimp in the freezer so I thought of giving it a try..it was a success, am happy to say. Next time I’ll make a big batch of this dish.
It is quite easy to make, with only a few ingredients, make sure though that you have them and put them ALL – I actually forgot to add the red chili peppers-much to my husband’s disappointment. 🙁
But it’s still good without it, good thing I seasoned the shrimp with ground cayenne pepper, so there’s was some hint of heat there..barely but better than nothing…
I adapted the recipe from SeriousEats. If you want a really in-depth look on how to make this dish, go there..you will be enlightened. 🙂
Happy Cooking! God Bless 🙂
Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp in Olive Oil)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 12 pcs Shrimp shelled / deveined and headless
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- Olive Oil extra virgin
- Sea Salt to taste
- Cayenne Pepper ground / to taste
- Pitted Black Olives
- Red Chili Peppers whole
- Sherry Wine Vinegar I don’t have this, so I just used water instead
- Parsley Flakes or fresh parsley
- Fresh Lemon wedged / for serving, optional
- Make sure that the shrimp is already very clean, put them in a bowl, season with sea salt, ground cayenne pepper, baking soda and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Let shrimp marinate for a few minutes or up to half an hour.
- When ready to cook, heat a pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, be generous with it, depending on quantity of shrimp.
- Once oil is hot, add red chilli peppers, cook for about a minutes then add minced garlic, once it begins to brown, add the shrimp and the black olives.
- Saute just until shrimp it turns pink, then add sherry wine vinegar, if using, otherwise a little water would do, too.
- Sprinkle parsley flakes or chopped fresh parsley.. and it's done!
- Squeeze a wedge of lemon before serving. (optional)
- Serve with toasted garlic bread or over pasta or rice. Enjoy!