Cream and oil-based pasta dishes are currently my favorite. I still like tomato-based pasta but it’s taking a backseat for now. I just love that creamy cheese and extra-virgin olive oil in my pasta, I like spaghetti the most among all pasta shapes and sizes out there. Of course you may use your preferred pasta for this recipe, I like fettuccine, too.
Now for this particular dish, I finally gave in into buying a truffle oil, even though I know it’s artificially flavored, it is still EVOO. No bits of truffles in it just the “aroma”which is the “closest” I can get to the real thing.
I have never seen or have eaten real truffle. I know truffles are wild mushroom that grows underground and can mostly be found in Italy. It cannot be cultivated or farmed. It is rare especially the white ones and therefore very expensive. So, I really don’t have any idea as to how it taste or smell like. I’m putting it on my bucket list. ü
I hope I can find that bottle of extra-virgin olive oil with real truffles in it that really captures the flavor and aroma of the real thing…but this article from NY Times is very enlightening and kinda crushed my hope of finding it. :I
- 8-10 oz spaghetti
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- olive oil
- sliced fresh button mushroom, about a cup ( more if you like; you may also use other kind of mushroom)
- 1 cup cooking cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 100 grams grated cheese ( I like to use combination of pecorino, parmesan and cheddar)
- truffle-infused or flavored oil for finishing
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Season generously with sea salt. Add the spaghetti and cook for about 9 minutes or until al dente.
- Meanwhile; Put a pan over medium-high heat, add about a tablespoon of olive oil, then when it's hot enough, saute garlic and onion. Add the mushroom, cook for about 3 minutes or until soft and wilted.
- Pour the cooking cream, season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked spaghetti and mix well, add some pasta water if it gets too dry. Add in the grated cheese. Mix until cheese is melted.
- Turn off heat, drizzle some truffle oil over the pasta. Do a taste test. It's done.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy 🙂