I love chicken, it’s so tasty and so versatile, you can do just about anything to it – fried, grilled, broiled, boiled, steamed, etc..- and it comes out a winner on the dining table everytime. The recipe below is from Martha Stewart Living Magazine (June 2007). What I like about this dish is the sweet and tangy sauce that comes with it. Try it and you’ll love it too. The recipe calls for drumsticks (my favorite part of the chicken) but if you don’t want red meat you may use chicken breasts, it won’ matter because the sauce is savory, it will compensate for the blandness of the white meat. Happy Cooking!
SWEET STICKY CHICKEN
This recipe serves 4 persons
1 1/2 dry red wine
1 cip plus 2 Tbsps packed brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
Bring wine, sugar, soy sauce,ginger and garlic to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture has thickened to the consistency of honey, 35 to 40 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Using a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes through the skin and flesh on both sides of each drumsticks to help the flavor permeate the meat.
Preheat grill to medium-low (If you are using charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 7 seconds). Place drumsticks on grill, and brush with sauce. Close cover and grill 4 minutes. Flip chicken, and brush with sauce; continue to cook, flipping and brushing with sauce every 4-5 minutes, until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Season with salt. Serve with coleslaw; but since we are all rice eaters in our family , I served it with steamed mixed white and brown rice.
Sweet Sticky Chicken
- 1 1/2 DRY RED WINE
- 1 2 tbsp Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 CUP SOY SAUCE
- 2 TABLESPOONS Finely Grated Ginger
- 1 GARLIC CLOVE MINCED
- 8 Chicken Drumsticks SKIN ON
- COARSE SALT
- BRING WINE, SUGAR, SOY SAUCE,GINGER AND GARLIC TO A BOIL IN A SAUCEPAN. REDUCE HEAT AND SIMMER UNTIL MIXTURE HAS THICKENED TO THE CONSISTENCY OF HONEY, 35 TO 40 MINUTES. SET ASIDE TO COOL.
- USING A SHARP KNIFE, MAKE THREE DIAGONAL SLASHES THROUGH THE SKIN AND FLESH ON BOTH SIDES OF EACH DRUMSTICKS TO HELP THE FLAVOR PERMEATE THE MEAT.
- PREHEAT GRILL TO MEDIUM-LOW (IF YOU ARE USING CHARCOAL GRILL, COALS ARE READY WHEN YOU CAN HOLD YOUR HAND 5 INCHES ABOVE GRILL FOR JUST 7 SECONDS). PLACE DRUMSTICKS ON GRILL, AND BRUSH WITH SAUCE. CLOSE COVER AND GRILL 4 MINUTES. FLIP CHICKEN, AND BRUSH WITH SAUCE; CONTINUE TO COOK, FLIPPING AND BRUSHING WITH SAUCE EVERY 4-5 MINUTES, UNTIL COOKED THROUGH, ABOUT 20 MINUTES. SEASON WITH SALT. SERVE WITH COLESLAW; BUT SINCE WE ARE ALL RICE EATERS IN OUR FAMILY , I SERVED IT WITH STEAMED MIXED WHITE AND BROWN RICE.