Chicken and tomatoes are two of my favorite ingredients, dishes that have these are irresistible for me. When I saw this recipe from Cuisine at Home, I heard it calling out to me..and I am powerless in this kind of situation; you know, when you can’t shake the image of a food from your mind, wondering how delicious it could be..or ‘can I make it exactly like that?’..hmmn ..it seems easy, I can do it.. I should make it.. yeah, for dinner..tonight.. have to have that food.. food, here I come..
Okay, I’ll be serious, this dish is a variation of scallopine (or scallopini – a thinly pounded veal or chicken, turkey and duck), similar to chicken piccata ( chicken scallopine with lemon-caper glaze/sauce). Pomodoro is Italian for tomato. This (scalloppine) popular Italian way of cooking is something that I like to do often because it is easy to make and the flavor is great, really delicious, it’s because of the wine and chicken broth.
I don’t can’t drink it (allergy), but I love using alcoholic drinks in cooking which of course eliminates the alcohol but retains all the flavor. I like to serve this kind of dish with any cooked long pasta noodles like spaghetti, fettuccine or linguine.
So, here it is: (BTW, my finished dish didn’t look as delicious as it was pictured in the mag but it taste really, really GOOD!)
gently pound chicken into 1/4″ thickness, season and coat or dust with flour
brown bothsides in pan, add glaze and return cooked chicken for a couple of minutes
.. finish the sauce with tomatoes and cream
pour over cooked chicken and enjoy!
RECIPE FOR CHICKEN POMODORO
adapted from Cuisine At Home
This recipe serves 2 but it was enough for my family ( 2 grown-ups and 2 kids)
4 chicken cutlets (or one- half chicken breast sliced into 4 )
2 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 cup vodka ( I used orange vodka)
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoon heavy cream
1/3 cup scallions, sliced
Pound chicken breast halves into 1/4″ thickness. To do this, cover the chicken breast with plastic wrap to protect the meat or put it inside a plastic freezer bag before gently pounding it. Don’t vent your anger on the chicken, you want it flat and thin not massacred ;), better yet, watch this video.
Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat or dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Brown chicken on both sides in the preheated pan. Transfer cooked chicken to a platter. Set Aside.
Meanwhile deglaze the pan with vodka (away from the pan; it might catch fire, you don’t want that to happen), cook until nearly evaporated. Add broth and lemon juice. Return cutlets to pan and cook on each side for one minute. Transfer cutlets to a platter.
Finish sauce with tomatoes and cream. Cook until just heated through then pour this over chicken. Garnish with scallions
I serve this with cooked pasta
Thanks for reading and Have a really nice day! 🙂
- 4 CHICKEN CUTLETS OR ONE- HALF CHICKEN BREAST SLICED INTO 4
- 2 TABLESPOON COOKING OIL
- 1/2 CUP VODKA I USED ORANGE VODKA
- 1/2 CUP CHICKEN BROTH
- 2 TABLESPOONS LEMON JUICE
- 1/2 CUP CHOPPED TOMATOES
- 2 TABLESPOON HEAVY CREAM
- 1/3 CUP SCALLIONS SLICED
- POUND CHICKEN BREAST HALVES INTO 1/4″ THICKNESS. TO DO THIS, COVER THE CHICKEN BREAST WITH PLASTIC WRAP TO PROTECT THE MEAT OR PUT IT INSIDE A PLASTIC FREEZER BAG BEFORE GENTLY POUNDING IT. DON’T VENT YOUR ANGER ON THE CHICKEN, YOU WANT IT FLAT AND THIN NOT MASSACRED ;), BETTER YET, WATCH THIS VIDEO.
- HEAT THE OIL IN A PAN OVER MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT. SEASON THE CHICKEN WITH SALT AND PEPPER AND COAT OR DREDGE IN FLOUR, SHAKING OFF THE EXCESS. BROWN CHICKEN ON BOTH SIDES IN THE PREHEATED PAN. TRANSFER COOKED CHICKEN TO A PLATTER. SET ASIDE.
- MEANWHILE DEGLAZE THE PAN WITH VODKA (AWAY FROM THE PAN; IT MIGHT CATCH FIRE, YOU DON’T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN), COOK UNTIL NEARLY EVAPORATED. ADD BROTH AND LEMON JUICE. RETURN CUTLETS TO PAN AND COOK ON EACH SIDE FOR ONE MINUTE. TRANSFER CUTLETS TO A PLATTER.
- FINISH SAUCE WITH TOMATOES AND CREAM. COOK UNTIL JUST HEATED THROUGH THEN POUR THIS OVER CHICKEN. GARNISH WITH SCALLIONS
- I SERVE THIS WITH COOKED PASTA