The timing of this recipe on my feed is perfect. I was planning on making crab omelette but when I saw Valerie Bertinelli’s video from FoodNetwork where she’s making this yummy dip, I wanted to make it too because not only it looked so appetizing to me, it seemed so easy to make and I happen to have a pack of crab meat in the fridge and frozen spinach thawing, I have all the ingredients on hand except for the Worcestershire sauce.
I don’t think it will make much of a difference without it.,..hmmm. Oh well, I wanted to make it and this didn’t stop me.I still have some home made bread and some tortilla wraps which I thought would be perfect for this delicious dip.
It’s like the universe was telling me to make this yesterday…and so, I did. 😀
Let’s see, here are some things I did different in the recipe, just minor things:
Didn’t add Worcestershire sauce; added more cayenne pepper; added some turmeric; used less spinach, about 1/2 a cup of squeezed spinach, definitely not a pound 😀 and lastly, I did not broil the crab dip in the oven- I thought since it’s for 15 minutes only, and I do not have anything to bake or wasn’t planning on baking anything yet, I’d skipped that step.
I just toasted the panko bread crumbs on another pan and spread it on top of the hot dip. 🙂
Spinach and Crab Dip
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 pc Onion small size / finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce I didn't use this
- ½ teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne I used 1 teaspoon
- 1 pound Frozen Chopped Spinach thawed / squeezed very dry
- 8 ounces Lump Crabmeat picked through for bits of shell
- ½ cup Monterey Jack I used fontina and some cheddar / shredded
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons Panko Breadcrumbs
- Crackers toasted bread / toasted tortilla for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, Worcestershire, dry mustard, paprika and cayenne, and stir until melted.
- Add the spinach and crabmeat, and stir until warm and bubbling.
- Stir in the cheeses and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dip to a small baking dish and top with the panko.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake until bubbling and golden, about 15 minutes.
- I skipped that last part. 🙂
- I just toasted panko bread and sprinkled it on top. The end. 🙂
- Serve immediately with crackers, toast, or tortilla or chip 🙂
- Please don't take too many photos or your dip will get cold.