Chocolate marble cake is one of my favorite treats when I was a child , it’s also my birthday cake of choice up until the bakeshop (Goldilocks) we used to buy it from stopped making it. Ever since I learned how to bake, I wanted to make this.
The recipe I used is from Ultimate Cakes by Barbara Maher; I didn’t used the glaze recipe for it, instead I used coconut milk-chocolate ganache..yummy! 🙂
I made this cake for my father-in-law’s birthday..he likes pound cakes and I thought this would be perfect…we enjoyed it after a simple birthday dinner with the whole family 🙂
pound cakes actually taste better the day after..
looks so shiny and delicious..I wish it would retain the gloss but it dulls when the ganache dries
this one I made without the glaze but with white chocolate sauce..pour warm sauce just before serving…sooo goood!!!
CHOCOLATE MARBLE POUND CAKE
adapted from Ultimate Cakes by Barbara Maher
4 oz plain all purpose flour
4oz potato flour ( I have successfully used cornstarch as substitute)
1 teaspoon baking powder
8 oz butter ( that’s about 1 cup or 2 sticks)
250g (8oz) sugar
seeds of 1/4 vanilla pod ( I used vanilla oil. 1/2 teaspoon)
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest ( or 1 teaspoon lemon extract)
For the chocolate mixture, combine the following in a bowl:2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 1/2 ounces melted semi-sweet chocolate
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease (twice) and flour a 1.5 liter (2 1/2 pint) fluted pan, set aside. Sift the flours and baking powder together in a bowl or on a sheet of parchment paper. Set aside. Beat the butter, vanilla seeds and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little of the flour if mixture begins to curdle. Beat in the lemon zest.
Gradually beat in the flour until everything is evenly mixed. Put half of the mixture in another bowl and stir in the chocolate mixture. Drop alternating spoonsful of each mixture into the prepared pan and bake for an hour.
Invert cake into a cooling rack with a baking pan underneath. Pour the warm coconut-chocolate ganache over the cake, making sure that you’re coating it evenly.
COCONUT MILK -CHOCOLATE GANACHE
1 cup coconut milk ( canned ), if you don’t like coconut milk, use heavy cream
6 ounces dark chocolate (50-70 % cocoa)
1/2 teaspoon coffee powder (optional)
Grate or finely chop chocolate in a big bowl, set aside. Heat coconut milk or heavy cream in a small pan over medium heat..just before it boils, take it off of the heat and pour over the grated chocolate..Wait about a minute before stirring it. Keep the spatula under the chocolate mixture while your mixing it, you don’t want to incorporate air into your ganache. Cool for 5 minutes before pouring it over the cake.
note: coconut milk spoils quickly at room temperature…refrigerate excess ganache at once and use it to make chocolate truffles 🙂
Alternatively, you can also use white chocolate sauce:
1 cup milk ( reg or non-fat, your choice)
5-6 ounces white chocolate, grated or chopped into small pieces
1-2 tablespoon dark rum
Heat milk and white chocolate in a heavy pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted; add the dark rum and turn off the heat, mix well until really smooth. Pour over slices of cakes upon serving.
♥ Thanks so much for reading..have a nice day!!! ♥ 🙂
Chocolate Marble Pound Cake
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 4 OZ PLAIN ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 4 OZ POTATO FLOUR I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY USED CORNSTARCH AS SUBSTITUTE
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 8 OZ BUTTER THAT’S ABOUT 1 CUP OR 2 STICKS
- 250 G 8OZ SUGAR
- SEEDS OF 1/4 VANILLA POD I USED VANILLA OIL. 1/2 TEASPOON
- 4 LARGE EGGS
- 1 TEASPOON FINELY GRATED LEMON ZEST OR 1 TEASPOON LEMON EXTRACT
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE MIXTURE COMBINE THE FOLLOWING IN A BOWL:2 TABLESPOONS COCOA POWDER
- 2 TABLESPOONS DARK RUM
- 2 1/2 OUNCES MELTED SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE
- FOR COCONUT MILK -CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1 CUP COCONUT MILK CANNED , IF YOU DON’T LIKE COCONUT MILK, USE HEAVY CREAM
- 6 OUNCES DARK CHOCOLATE 50-70 % COCOA
- 1/2 TEASPOON COFFEE POWDER OPTIONAL
- ALTERNATIVELY YOU CAN ALSO USE WHITE CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 CUP MILK REG OR NON-FAT, YOUR CHOICE
- 5-6 OUNCES WHITE CHOCOLATE GRATED OR CHOPPED INTO SMALL PIECES
- 1-2 TABLESPOON DARK RUM
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F. GREASE (TWICE) AND FLOUR A 1.5 LITER (2 1/2 PINT) FLUTED PAN, SET ASIDE. SIFT THE FLOURS AND BAKING POWDER TOGETHER IN A BOWL OR ON A SHEET OF PARCHMENT PAPER. SET ASIDE. BEAT THE BUTTER, VANILLA SEEDS AND SUGAR TOGETHER UNTIL PALE AND FLUFFY. BEAT IN THE EGGS ONE AT A TIME, ADDING A LITTLE OF THE FLOUR IF MIXTURE BEGINS TO CURDLE. BEAT IN THE LEMON ZEST.
- GRADUALLY BEAT IN THE FLOUR UNTIL EVERYTHING IS EVENLY MIXED. PUT HALF OF THE MIXTURE IN ANOTHER BOWL AND STIR IN THE CHOCOLATE MIXTURE. DROP ALTERNATING SPOONSFUL OF EACH MIXTURE INTO THE PREPARED PAN AND BAKE FOR AN HOUR.
- INVERT CAKE INTO A COOLING RACK WITH A BAKING PAN UNDERNEATH. POUR THE WARM COCONUT-CHOCOLATE GANACHE OVER THE CAKE, MAKING SURE THAT YOU’RE COATING IT EVENLY.
- FOR COCONUT MILK -CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- GRATE OR FINELY CHOP CHOCOLATE IN A BIG BOWL, SET ASIDE. HEAT COCONUT MILK OR HEAVY CREAM IN A SMALL PAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT..JUST BEFORE IT BOILS, TAKE IT OFF OF THE HEAT AND POUR OVER THE GRATED CHOCOLATE..WAIT ABOUT A MINUTE BEFORE STIRRING IT. KEEP THE SPATULA UNDER THE CHOCOLATE MIXTURE WHILE YOUR MIXING IT, YOU DON’T WANT TO INCORPORATE AIR INTO YOUR GANACHE. COOL FOR 5 MINUTES BEFORE POURING IT OVER THE CAKE.
- NOTE: COCONUT MILK SPOILS QUICKLY AT ROOM TEMPERATURE…REFRIGERATE EXCESS GANACHE AT ONCE AND USE IT TO MAKE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES 🙂
- FOR WHITE CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- HEAT MILK AND WHITE CHOCOLATE IN A HEAVY PAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT. STIR CONSTANTLY UNTIL THE CHOCOLATE IS MELTED; ADD THE DARK RUM AND TURN OFF THE HEAT, MIX WELL UNTIL REALLY SMOOTH. POUR OVER SLICES OF CAKES UPON SERVING.