I love okra and when they’re in season I like to add it to just about any dish that I’m making except desserts of course. Sometimes, I just wash them and steam it on top of rice (after it boils and when there’s no more water) and dip it in soysauce with calamansi as side dish. yum.
Here’s a rustic chicken stew I made with okra and some of my favorite ingredients inspired by a greek dish called Kotopoulo Me Bamies (Κοτόπουλο με μπάμιες) that I saw from Greek Food and Beyond
saute garlic, onion, chicken with little olive oil..add tomatoes and tomato paste and chillies, season it, add water and simmer til chicken is tender
add the okra or lady fingers, it’s what they call it in some parts of US ( in the south, I believe..)
then the shiitake
..and it’s done! Serve with rice..yum! 🙂
CHICKEN STEW with OKRA & SHIITAKE MUSHROOM
This is a stew, you can add as many or as little of the ingredients..your call, there’s no way you can ruin this, just taste it first before serving, I usually get a second opinion from my husband, I let him have a taste and if he likes it..then it’s good and done 🙂
Good for 4 persons
6 pcs chicken thighs
garlic cloves, minced or use granulated garlic if you don’t feel like peeling and chopping garlic
green finger chillies
1 1/2 cups dried shiitake mushroom slices ( or slice whole mushrooms after soaking)
1/4 cup red wine ( optional) *
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
fish sauce, optional
extra virgin olive oil ( or any cooking oil that you like ) for sauteeing
*I intended to add chicken stock but I ran out, so I just used water and a little wine for more flavor
Soak dried shiitake mushroom in a bowl of water. Set aside. Heat a saucepan over medium high heat, add about 2 tablespoons olive oil.
When oil is very hot, add minced garlic and onion, wait for the onion to become soft and translucent then add the chicken thighs, season with salt and ground black pepper and cook chicken until browned on both sides. Add tomato paste, red wine and water and green chillies.
Bring to a boil then lower the heat; season with a liitle fish sauce, if using ( about 1 tablespoon); then let chicken simmer for half an hour or until tender, add okra, cook for 3 minutes. Drain shiitake mushroom, squeeze the extra water out ( if you have whole shiitake mushrooms, slice it first) then add to the chicken. Cook for about 10 more minutes. Turn off heat, plate and serve..with rice of course! Enjoy! 🙂
♥ Thanks for visiting….nice day to you! 🙂 ♥
Chicken Stew with Okra and Shiitake Mushroom
- 6 PCS CHICKEN THIGHS
- GARLIC CLOVES MINCED OR USE GRANULATED GARLIC IF YOU DON’T FEEL LIKE PEELING AND CHOPPING GARLIC
- ONION DICED
- TOMATOES DICED
- GREEN FINGER CHILLIES
- 1 1/2 CUPS DRIED SHIITAKE MUSHROOM SLICES OR SLICE WHOLE MUSHROOMS AFTER SOAKING
- 1/4 CUP RED WINE OPTIONAL *
- 1 1/2 CUPS WATER
- 2 TABLESPOONS TOMATO PASTE
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- FISH SAUCE OPTIONAL
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL OR ANY COOKING OIL THAT YOU LIKE FOR SAUTEEING
- *I INTENDED TO ADD CHICKEN STOCK BUT I RAN OUT SO I JUST USED WATER AND A LITTLE WINE FOR MORE FLAVOR
- OAK DRIED SHIITAKE MUSHROOM IN A BOWL OF WATER. SET ASIDE. HEAT A SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT, ADD ABOUT 2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL.
- WHEN OIL IS VERY HOT, ADD MINCED GARLIC AND ONION, WAIT FOR THE ONION TO BECOME SOFT AND TRANSLUCENT THEN ADD THE CHICKEN THIGHS, SEASON WITH SALT AND GROUND BLACK PEPPER AND COOK CHICKEN UNTIL BROWNED ON BOTH SIDES. ADD TOMATO PASTE, RED WINE AND WATER AND GREEN CHILLIES.
- BRING TO A BOIL THEN LOWER THE HEAT; SEASON WITH A LIITLE FISH SAUCE, IF USING ( ABOUT 1 TABLESPOON); THEN LET CHICKEN SIMMER FOR HALF AN HOUR OR UNTIL TENDER, ADD OKRA, COOK FOR 3 MINUTES. DRAIN SHIITAKE MUSHROOM, SQUEEZE THE EXTRA WATER OUT ( IF YOU HAVE WHOLE SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS, SLICE IT FIRST) THEN ADD TO THE CHICKEN. COOK FOR ABOUT 10 MORE MINUTES. TURN OFF HEAT, PLATE AND SERVE..WITH RICE OF COURSE! ENJOY!