I have been busy lately with my new baby. I’ve been feeding it every 12-24 hours. It has grown strong and bubbly in a month and smells delicious – that nice blend of sweet and tangy. I can’t wait to taste it on a perfectly baked sourdough bread.
I have successfully created (yay!!) a sourdough starter and been obsessing about making sourdough bread but then after my first try, I was so disappointed. It was a huge fail. I was surprised how difficult it was to handle a high hydration dough.
I’m currently working on my fourth try on rustic sourdough boule, I have a dough proofing in the fridge as I’m writing this, but I’m not very confident that it will be a success. I don’t think I did the shaping part properly…again. Ugh.
I’m really struggling but I’m not giving up especially after I’ve tasted the failed ones, it’s so good inspite of the texture and appearance.
I need more practice and I’m taking advantage of this time that we have to stay at home while waiting for the the Covid19 clouds to clear so we can all enjoy our normal lives again.
Anyway, let me share this delicious cookies using sourdough discard. I like it because I can only eat 1-2 cookies at a time and I’m already good. I can’t binge eat these even if I want to. It quickly calms the sugar monster in me. 🙂
Happy Baking! #Stayathome #Gooutonlywhenyoureallyhaveto #Keepsafe
Cream butter and sugar
add egg and vanilla extract and beat well
add sourdough starter discard
gradually add the dry ingredients on low speed
fold in chocolate chips and pecans
Bake for 7 minutes
Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup Butter 6oz
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1 pc Egg large or XL
- ¾ cup Sourdough Starter unfed or discard
- 1 tsp Fine Salt sea salt / himalayan salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coffee Powder or granules
- 1 ½ – 2 cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup Pecans chopped / or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Using the paddle attachment of your mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Pour sourdough discard on low speed.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, salt, baking soda in a bowl and mix well with a spoon or sift then gradually add to the creamed butter and sugar. Do not over mix.
- Turn off mixer and add chocolate chips and pecans using a spatula and gently fold into the cookie dough.
- Grease sheet pan with butter or line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, space cookie dough about 2 inches apart (about 12-16 pcs per batch depending on the size of your pan) and bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack and let cool for about 5 minutes after baking before serving.