This rice and chicken dish is very savory. It is similar to boiled chicken, well, it is actually boiled chicken but with accompanying rice cooked with the chicken stock from boiling the chicken. It is more delicious than it looks; I added some turmeric powder to give the rice a touch of color; it may not look appetizing to eat for those who haven’t tasted it yet oh but it is so delicious..I was quite surprised when I first had it.
The chicken is tender and quite juicy.. I made this with the whole chicken as usual but I’ll try cut-up chicken pieces next time..all thigh parts ’cause that’s my family’s favorite. 🙂
Serve it with soy-ginger sauce on the side if you like.
Hainanese Chicken Rice
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 whole 3- to 4-pound chicken, trimmed of excess fat
- 4 cloves garlic smashed, plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Several slices fresh ginger plus 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or neutral oil, like corn or canola
- 1 large red onion roughly chopped
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup minced scallions
- 2 cucumbers peeled and sliced
- 2 to matoes sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Add chicken to pot along with smashed garlic and sliced ginger. Bird should be completely submerged, but only just. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let bird remain in water for 45 minutes to an hour, covered, or until it is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pot, reserve stock, and let bird cool to room temperature. Put half the peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat; you may add trimmed chicken fat to this also. When oil is hot, add remaining garlic, along with shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until glossy. Add 4 cups reserved chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover; cook for about 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all liquid. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Make a dipping sauce of remaining oil, ginger, half the scallions and a large pinch of salt.
- Shred or chop chicken, discarding skin. Put rice on a large platter and mound chicken on top of it; decorate platter with cucumbers, tomatoes, remaining scallions and cilantro. Sprinkle sesame oil over all and serve with dipping sauce.