So you want to bake a cake and found out you’re out of eggs? No worries, this recipe doesn’t require eggs or butter.
I’ve read that this cake was created by resourceful moms during the time of Great Depression in the US.
I’m not sure why it’s called crazy cake, though. Maybe because it must have been crazy for anyone to even think of having a cake during that time. Or when you tell someone back then that you will make a moist delicious cake for your kid’s birthday…they thought something’s not right in her head. Where will she get her eggs?? Or milk? Or butter???
I don’t know..
All I know it that you should try making this cake too next time you’re out of eggs and butter. The best part..practically no clean up after, you make the batter on the pan itself and straight into the oven it goes. Winner.
I only made this cake once and it turned out well.
Next time, I will use brewed coffee instead of just water and I’ll add chocolate chips or finely grated bittersweet chocolate in the batter to make it more yummy.
Give it a try, too.
There are many recipes for this cake but this recipe (thank you for sharing) is the one that I like best)
Chocolate Crazy Cake
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 5 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Water or brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease an 8” square baking pan and in it put the first 5 ingredient and mix.
- Make 2 small, and one large depressions.
- Pour vegetable oil in the large well/depression, then put vinegar and vanilla on the two small ones.
- Pour water (or brewed coffee) over.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven.
- Cool and add your favorite frosting or spoon out cake and pour chocolate sauce all over. YUM!