The best breads are those fresh out of the oven. The aroma of bread baking in the oven just gives you a good feeling, like everything is right in the world.
Bread making was quite intimidating for me when I was just starting to learn how to bake.
I remember my several unsuccessful tries (ugh) but I didn’t give up because I know that I will learn from my mistakes, and I did!
For beginner bakers out there, do not be disheartened by a few mishaps in the kitchen. It’s okay not to do something right the first time. Try simple and easy recipes first like this sweet potato bread rolls.
This sweet potato bread recipe is good even for beginner bakers. The dough is easy to work with.
The addition of mashed sweet potato makes the bread rolls softer and also gives the dough a beautiful golden yellow hue.
I’ve made this sweet potato dinner rolls several times and it always gives consistent result.
I like this recipe so much that it is what I used now for my cinnamon rolls.
Add yeast to milk with sugar and let it froth. About 5 mins
add salt, sugar, eggs and mashed sweet potato to the yeast mixture
add 3 cups flour
stir just until it comes together
turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 3 mins
from into a ball then put into oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap
let rise for an hour
punch dough down to release air
divide into 16- 18 equal pieces
shape into balls and put in a greased baking pan.
Let rise until doubled
bake in the preheated oven for 12 mins. Brush top with melted butter. Let cool a bit and serve.
Sweet Potato Bread Rolls
- 1/2 cup Fresh Milk
- 2 1/4 tsp Instant Yeast (1 packet )
- 1 tbsp Sugar brown, light brown or white will do
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Sweet Potato boiled, mashed
- 3 tbsp Butter melted or softened
- 2 pcs Eggs large, slightly beaten
- 3 1/2 cups Flour
- Warm the milk and put into a big mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and yeast. Mix and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- When yeast mixture is frothy, add salt, 3 tbsp sugar, mashed sweet potato, melted butter and beaten eggs. Mix well with a whisk or wooden spoon.
- Add 3 cups of flour to the mixture and using wooden spoon, stir until shaggy dough forms. Reserve the 1/2 cup for dusting the surface and your hands and if the dough is too sticky.
- Turn out dough into a lightly floured surface and knead for about 3 minutes. Form dough into a bowl. OIl the mixing bowl and put the ball of dough in it, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for an hour or until double in size.
- After an hour, remove plastic wrap and punch dough down to release the air. Transfer to your work surface and divide the dough into 16-20 pcs.
- Roll each piece into a ball and put on a greased baking sheet or pan. Allow to rise until it's doubled, about 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- When dough is ready, bake in the preheared oven for about 12-15 mins. Check after 12 mins, when top is golden, it's done. Baking time varies with oven and size of bread rolls.