Zabaglione or Sabayon is an Italian custard sauce made with egg yolks and sugar and Marsala wine, but I like to use a bit of brandy or whisky (I love that smell.. I don’t drink except for wine so using brandy or whisky for cooking is the only way I can really enjoy them).
I think it’s perfect for coffee jelly for a simple but luscious dessert.
It’s whipped into a smooth, silky consistency, it’s actually good to eat by itself but I don’t, I usually make it for tiramisu, it’s a must. I never make it without the zabaglione.
I like to add some heavy cream to the sabayon before adding to the coffee jelly but if you are lactose-intolerant skip the cream.
For those on keto diet, I included sugar-free option in the recipe, I indicated the amount of erythritol (sugar substitute I use) and of course the heavy cream.
It’s a good way to use leftover brewed coffee, should you have any.
This is so easy to make, it’s the waiting that’s hard but you can use that time to make the zabaglione and do other stuf
Coffee Jelly with Zabaglione
- 2 tbsps Gelatin Powder
- 3 cups Brewed Coffee strong brew / or 3 tbsp coffee powder dissolve into 3 cups water
- 2 tbsps Brown Sugar or 3 Tbsps erythritol
- 1/4 cup Whipping Cream or heavy cream / optional
- a dash Cinnamon optional
For the Zabaglione / Sabayon
- 3 pcs Eggs yolks
- 4 tbsps Brown Sugar or 5 tbsps Erythritol
- 1-2 tbsp Rum brandy or whisky / (don't worry the alcohol will dissipate in the heat)
Make the Coffee Jelly
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar in 2 cups of brewed coffee. Let it cool if it's freshly brewed.
- Pour about half a cup of coffee mixture in a mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin powder on top and mix until it is fully dissolve and free of lumps.
- add the remaining coffee. Transfer to a container with cover or use plastic wrap and put coffee mixture in the fridge to set.
Make the Zabaglione /Sabayon
- Put a little water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat then lower heat to let water simmer.
- Use a bowl big enough to sit on top of the saucepan. Put egg yolks and sugar in the bowl, add brandy or rum or whisky and using whisk, whip until sugar is dissolve, and continue whipping over simmering pot of water until mixture is double in volume.
- Take off of the heat and let cool. (if not using immediately, you can keep it in a fridge, covered. Use within 2-3 days
Coffee Jelly Dessert
- If using cream, add to the cooled zabaglione and whip using whisk for a minute. Add a dash of cinnamon if using.
- Cut the coffee gelatin into cubes / squares and add to the zabaglione
- Toss gently until evenly mixed.
- Transfer to a container, cover and chill before serving if you can still wait, this is highly recommended. But feel free to enjoy your coffee jelly now and keep the rest in the fridge.