I learned a new french word today: Meunière. It means (in the manner of the miller’s wife) dredged in flour before pan-frying in butter usually with lemon juice and chopped parsley sprinkled on top. Usually done with fish, the butter it was sautéed in, is poured onto it and served with a wedge of lemon.
This really quick and simple meuniere recipe is from Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa), one of my fave food network star. I paired it with spaghetti aglio e olio and it was great. I like the taste of lemon on the fish, I’ve never tried something like this before, and now I wonder why I hadn’t. will definitely cook this again, my family liked it especially my 9-year old daughter. It looks quite plain in the pictures but it is really yummy (I should have added some salad greens).
I don’t know what a sole fish is, so I just used the fish fillet that I regularly buy in the supermarket. It’s called basa fish fillet. I don’t know if there’s a big difference there but it looks similar in the picture of Ina’s sole meuniere recipe on her website and it turned out great for me so I don’t see any problem at all in the substitution and oh, I used olive oil instead of butter to make it healthier.
The spaghetti aglio e olio is the easiest pasta dish anyone can make, I usually substitute it in place of rice. It’s like the Italian version of our sinangag (Filipino fried rice with garlic). Aglio e Olio simply means garlic and oil.
Easy Sole Meuniere
½ cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 fresh sole fillets, 3 to 4 ounces each
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Have 2 heat-proof dinner plates ready.
Combine the flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large shallow plate. Pat the sole fillets dry with paper towels and sprinkle one side with salt.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large (12-inch) sauté pan over medium heat until it starts to brown. Dredge 2 sole fillets in the seasoned flour on both sides and place them in the hot butter. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes. Turn carefully with a metal spatula and cook for 2 minutes on the other side. While the second side cooks, add ½ teaspoon of lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to the pan. Carefully put the fish fillets on the ovenproof plates and pour the sauce over them. Keep the cooked fillets warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining 2 fillets. When they’re done, add the cooked fillets to the plates in the oven. Sprinkle with the parsley, salt, and pepper and serve immediately.
EASY SOLE MEUNIERE
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 200 DEGREES. HAVE 2 HEAT-PROOF DINNER PLATES READY.
- COMBINE THE FLOUR, 2 TEASPOONS SALT, AND 1 TEASPOON PEPPER IN A LARGE SHALLOW PLATE. PAT THE SOLE FILLETS DRY WITH PAPER TOWELS AND SPRINKLE ONE SIDE WITH SALT.
- HEAT 3 TABLESPOONS OF THE BUTTER IN A LARGE (12-INCH) SAUTÉ PAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL IT STARTS TO BROWN. DREDGE 2 SOLE FILLETS IN THE SEASONED FLOUR ON BOTH SIDES AND PLACE THEM IN THE HOT BUTTER. LOWER THE HEAT TO MEDIUM-LOW AND COOK FOR 2 MINUTES.
- TURN CAREFULLY WITH A METAL SPATULA AND COOK FOR 2 MINUTES ON THE OTHER SIDE. WHILE THE SECOND SIDE COOKS, ADD ½ TEASPOON OF LEMON ZEST AND 3 TABLESPOONS OF LEMON JUICE TO THE PAN. CAREFULLY PUT THE FISH FILLETS ON THE OVENPROOF PLATES AND POUR THE SAUCE OVER THEM.
- KEEP THE COOKED FILLETS WARM IN THE OVEN WHILE YOU REPEAT THE PROCESS WITH THE REMAINING 2 FILLETS. WHEN THEY’RE DONE, ADD THE COOKED FILLETS TO THE PLATES IN THE OVEN. SPRINKLE WITH THE PARSLEY, SALT, AND PEPPER AND SERVE IMMEDIATELY.
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
12 oz spaghetti, cooked al dente
1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 tbsp dried red chili pepper flakes
1 tbsp granulated garlic*
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package direction.
Heat the olive oil and red pepper flakes and dried basil if using, in a pan on low heat for about 5 minutes, add the cooked spaghetti and seaon with granulated garlic, salt and pepper to taste. You may add a little of the pasta water if it gets too dry. Sprinkle with fresh parsley (if available). That’s it, serve immediately.
SPAGHETTI AGLIO E OLIO
- COOK THE SPAGHETTI NOODLES ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTION.
- HEAT THE OLIVE OIL AND RED PEPPER FLAKES AND DRIED BASIL IF USING, IN A PAN ON LOW HEAT FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES, ADD THE COOKED SPAGHETTI AND SEAON WITH GRANULATED GARLIC, SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE. YOU MAY ADD A LITTLE OF THE PASTA WATER IF IT GETS TOO DRY.
- SPRINKLE WITH FRESH PARSLEY (IF AVAILABLE). THAT’S IT, SERVE IMMEDIATELY.