Warning: Not for the faint-hearted, this dish is really spicy hot. It’ll make you cry.
If you want the thrill of eating hot and spicy food, definitely try this one. If you are not into hot and spicy food, you can also give this a try, just omit or just adjust the amount of the spices to what you can tolerate.
This recipe is not that hot and spicy originally, I just made it that way because my dear husband likes his food hot, really hot. Our kids of course don’t eat this, it’s just too much for them.
This recipe was from my teenage sister-in-law, she’s 18 and she can cook and she served us this for lunch when we came over their house. It has a mild hot and spicy taste with a hint of sweetness. My husband and I instantly liked it so I asked for a recipe, naturally. She just copied it from a someone who did a cooking demo in their school. She said it’s easy, just fry chicken pieces ( coated with flour) and mix the sauce ingredients in 1:1 ratio and pour into the cooked chicken to coat.
She’s not kidding, it’s really easy. I just made a small variation by using chicken thigh fillet or breast fillet (these cuts cook faster) and cutting the amount of liquid seasoning, (I sometimes don’t add it in, I just add more soy sauce) I’m trying to use as little as possible of products containing msg. I use the hottest hot sauce I know, if you live here in the Philippines, I recommend you use Jufran hot sauce, Tabasco is fine but it tastes vinegar-y to me, I don’t recommend using it for this particular dish, it doesn’t blend well with the other ingredients, any hot sauce will do I guess so long as it doesn’t have that vinegar taste.
REALLY HOT AND SPICY CHICKEN
400 grams chicken thigh fillet or breast fillet
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
olive oil or any cooking oil
For the sauce:
1 medium red onion, minced
ginger root, minced
1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp liquid seasoning (optional)
4 tbsp hot sauce
4 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup water
Wash chicken and dry with paper towels. Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick skillet/ pan. In a bowl, mix cornstarch, salt and pepper. Dredge chicken fillet in the cornstarch mixture, shake off excess and pan fry in the heated skillet until browned. Flip the chicken fillet to cook the other side, when finished, put on a platter and set aside.
Make the sauce: In the same pan, heat a tablespoon of sesame oil or olive oil; saute onion until it turns transparent, then add minced ginger and red pepper chili flakes, cook for a minute and then add the soy sauce, liquid seasoning, hot sauce, ketchup, sugar and water. Stir and bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about a minute, add the chicken and stir just to coat. You may do that or just pour the sauce over the cooked chicken in the platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, ( I used golden flax seeds, they look like sesame seeds, only bigger) and spring onions, these are optional, use only if you have them in stock, if not don’t bother, the dish is fine without it.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
Really Hot and Spicy Korean Chicken
- 400 GRAMS CHICKEN THIGH FILLET OR BREAST FILLET
- 1/2 CUP CORNSTARCH
- 1 TSP SALT
- 1 TSP PEPPER
- OLIVE OIL OR ANY COOKING OIL
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 MEDIUM RED ONION MINCED
- GINGER ROOT MINCED
- 1 TABLESPOON RED CHILI PEPPER FLAKES
- 4 TBSP SOY SAUCE
- 1 TBSP LIQUID SEASONING OPTIONAL
- 4 TBSP HOT SAUCE
- 4 TBSP KETCHUP
- 3 TBSP SUGAR
- 1/4 CUP WATER
- WASH CHICKEN AND DRY WITH PAPER TOWELS. HEAT ABOUT 2 TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE OIL IN A NON-STICK SKILLET/ PAN. IN A BOWL, MIX CORNSTARCH, SALT AND PEPPER. DREDGE CHICKEN FILLET IN THE CORNSTARCH MIXTURE, SHAKE OFF EXCESS AND PAN FRY IN THE HEATED SKILLET UNTIL BROWNED. FLIP THE CHICKEN FILLET TO COOK THE OTHER SIDE, WHEN FINISHED, PUT ON A PLATTER AND SET ASIDE.
- MAKE THE SAUCE: IN THE SAME PAN, HEAT A TABLESPOON OF SESAME OIL OR OLIVE OIL; SAUTE ONION UNTIL IT TURNS TRANSPARENT, THEN ADD MINCED GINGER AND RED PEPPER CHILI FLAKES, COOK FOR A MINUTE AND THEN ADD THE SOY SAUCE, LIQUID SEASONING, HOT SAUCE, KETCHUP, SUGAR AND WATER. STIR AND BRING TO A BOIL, LOWER HEAT AND SIMMER FOR ABOUT A MINUTE, ADD THE CHICKEN AND STIR JUST TO COAT. YOU MAY DO THAT OR JUST POUR THE SAUCE OVER THE COOKED CHICKEN IN THE PLATTER. SPRINKLE WITH SESAME SEEDS, ( I USED GOLDEN FLAX SEEDS, THEY LOOK LIKE SESAME SEEDS, ONLY BIGGER) AND SPRING ONIONS, THESE ARE OPTIONAL, USE ONLY IF YOU HAVE THEM IN STOCK, IF NOT DON’T BOTHER, THE DISH IS FINE WITHOUT IT.
- SERVE HOT WITH STEAMED RICE.