This is my first chicken parmesan and I am so disappointed with the photos I took, I did it in a hurry, there’s a movie on HBO that my husband and I wanted to watch, so I just snapped on some pictures, I wish now that I have spent longer time because none of the pictures I took look great but the dish itself is.
The recipe is from Elie Krieger, the newest addition to my favorite chefs on TV. I like that she makes healthy versions of favorite dishes that are delicious as well as easy to make. To be honest I used to avoid recipes with these words attached it: low-fat, low-calorie or low-carb, I equate them with boring, tasteless meals but not anymore. There are lots of ways we can fortify our food with vitamins and minerals and fibers without sacrificing taste, thanks to Elie, I have an idea how to do that now.
I want to eat healthy, low(er) calorie meals too, but I want to enjoy eating it otherwise I’ll just eat the same delicious calorie-rich food and just add extra minutes to my exercise, at least I’m happy and I can do so much when I’m happy.
Okay back to the recipe, I like this recipe because it’s quick, and easy (my favorite phrase). I made it even more by skipping the pounding (of the chicken), I used thigh fillet, they were already the right thickness and they cook in no time at all.
I just made minor substitutions, I didn’t have wholewheat bread at the time so I just used regular bread crumbs BUT I replaced the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour so I guess that evens it and the cheese, I used half mozzarella and regular cheddar cheese for the topping; and oh, I used whole egg because I’m pretty sure I will forget that yolk in the fridge and I don’t want it to go to waste.
Recipe from Elie Krieger of Food Network’s Healthy Appetite
4 slices whole-wheat bread (1-ounce each)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour ( I used whole wheat flour)
4 (6 ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness ( I used chicken thigh fillet)
Olive oil cooking spray
1 jar good-quality marinara sauce (about 3 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons (1/2-ounce) shredded Parmesan ( I used cheddar cheese)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the bread in the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs are formed, about 25 to 30 seconds. Put the crumbs on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, until golden. (You will wind up with about 1 1/3 cups toasted crumbs.)
In a medium bowl, toss the crumbs with oregano, garlic powder, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and milk together. In a third bowl stir together the flour, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Dip each piece of chicken, 1 piece at a time, in flour, shaking off excess, then egg, then bread crumbs, shaking off excess.
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Place breaded breasts in a glass baking dish and spray on each side with cooking spray, about 5 seconds total per side. Bake breasts until cooked though and crumbs are browned, about 15 minutes. Top with marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.
(Serving size, 1 piece chicken with sauce and cheese)
Calories 410; Total Fat 11 g; (Sat Fat 4.5 g, Mono Fat 2.7 g, Poly Fat 1.2 g) ; Protein 50 g; Carb 31 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 110 mg; Sodium 1200 mg
Excellent source of: Protein, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Selenium
Good source of: Thiamin, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Iodine, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Zinc
Easy Chicken Parmesan
- 4 SLICES Whole Wheat Bread 1-OUNCE EACH
- 1 TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO
- 1/2 TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER
- 4 TEASPOONS PAPRIKA
- 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
- 1/2 TEASPOON BLACK PEPPER
- 2 EGG WHITES
- 1/2 CUP Skim Milk
- 1/2 CUP All-Purpose Flour I USED WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
- 4 6 oz Chicken Thigh Fillet pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 1 Jar Marinara Sauce ABOUT 3 1/2 CUPS
- 3/4 CUP 3 oz Shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 TABLESPOONS 1/2 oz Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350 DEGREES F.
- PLACE THE BREAD IN THE BOWL OF A FOOD PROCESSOR AND PROCESS UNTIL FINE CRUMBS ARE FORMED, ABOUT 25 TO 30 SECONDS. PUT THE CRUMBS ON A BAKING SHEET AND BAKE FOR 12 MINUTES, UNTIL GOLDEN. (YOU WILL WIND UP WITH ABOUT 1 1/3 CUPS TOASTED CRUMBS.)
- IN A MEDIUM BOWL, TOSS THE CRUMBS WITH OREGANO, GARLIC POWDER, PAPRIKA, 1/4 TEASPOON SALT AND 1/4 TEASPOON PEPPER. IN ANOTHER BOWL, WHISK THE EGG WHITES AND MILK TOGETHER. IN A THIRD BOWL STIR TOGETHER THE FLOUR, AND THE REMAINING 1/4 TEASPOON SALT AND 1/4 TEASPOON BLACK PEPPER. DIP EACH PIECE OF CHICKEN, 1 PIECE AT A TIME, IN FLOUR, SHAKING OFF EXCESS, THEN EGG, THEN BREAD CRUMBS, SHAKING OFF EXCESS.
- INCREASE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 400 DEGREES. PLACE BREADED BREASTS IN A GLASS BAKING DISH AND SPRAY ON EACH SIDE WITH COOKING SPRAY, ABOUT 5 SECONDS TOTAL PER SIDE. BAKE BREASTS UNTIL COOKED THOUGH AND CRUMBS ARE BROWNED, ABOUT 15 MINUTES. TOP WITH MARINARA SAUCE, MOZZARELLA AND PARMESAN AND RETURN TO OVEN FOR AN ADDITIONAL 10 MINUTES, UNTIL CHEESE IS BUBBLING.