I ‘m so glad I did this month’s Daring Cooks’ challenge; it was very, very good- hot and spicy delicious to the max! 😉 Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on www.finecooking.com and written by Robb Walsh.
Making this dish is not exactly easy although the recipe is simple enough to follow. I read it over and over until I can picture it clearly it my mind but still it took me over a couple of hours to finish the whole dish from making my own flour tortilla to plating the dish.
I think I can make it a lot faster next time since I don’t have to stop once in a while to wash my hands and take photos :). But I wasn’t able to take a lot of pictures of the finished dish because my husband was already hungry and asking for food; he’s usually very patient but the delicious smell of the roasted chillies, chicken and cheese is driving him crazy I guess. I can’t blame him, I too can’t wait to eat these chile enchiladas.
The green chiles that I used is what we call siling haba or finger chiles, I used only 6 ounces because it’s quite hot ( the bunch I have were really hot, sometimes I get” lame “green chillies; I’m lucky that I bought good ones this time) but after roasting them,
I got this much only and that’s including the seeds…I’ve no choice but to include the seeds because there’s barely anything left of the chiles, I was worried it won’t be hot enough so I added habanero hot sauce, just one tablespoon to the sauce..it turned out EXTREMELY HOT..yummy-HOT! 😉
I made my own flour tortilla ( I couldn’t find masa harina), see recipe here if you want to make your own too. Put some chicken and cheese on a tortilla and roll..
Lay the burritos seam side down on a baking dish with half the sauce in it, then pour remaing sauce on top..
sprinkle cheese on top ( I used combination of cheddar, quickmelt and mozarella cheeses)
Bake until cheese bubbles
and serve… yum-yum!
My husband and I adore this dish, the kids love it too but asked me to make it a lot less hot next time so they can have some of the sauce too, lol.
Green Chili and Grilled Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 1/2 pounds Fresh Anaheim Chilis about 8pcs of 6 to 8 inch chilis
- 7-8 ounces Tomatoes or tomatillos / green or red
- 4 cups Chicken Broth 32 ounces / 920 grams
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Onion yellow / minced
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch dissolve in 2 tablespoons water for thickening
- Hot Sauce your preferred brand / optional
- 2 Boneless Chicken Thigh Fillet or chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil use more as needed
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 8 pcs Corn Tortillas small size / 5-6inch / 13-15cm or wheat tortillas
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack grated / 170 grams / other cheeses can be used, just be sure they melt well and compliment the filling
- Cilantro for garnish / chopped and sprinkled / optional
FOR THE FRESH CHILIS:
- Coat each chili with a little vegetable oil.
- If you are doing only a couple of chilis, using the gas stove is enough.
- For larger batches (like in this recipe), grilling or broiling is faster.
- Lay the oiled chilis on the grill or baking sheet (line pan with aluminum foil for simpler clean up).
- Place the grill or broil close to the element, turning chilis so they char evenly.
- They should be black and blistered.
- As they are completely charred (they will probably not all be done at once), remove them to a bowl and cover with plastic or close up in a paper bag.
- Let them rest until they are cooler.
- Open the chili and remove the seeds.
- Turn the chili skin side up and with a paring knife scrape away the skin.
- Sometimes it just pulls right off, sometimes you really have to scrape it.
- Do not rinse!
FOR GREEN CHILI SAUCE:
- Put a medium sauce pan of water on to boil and remove the papery outer skin from the tomatoes.
- Boil the tomatoes until soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can also grill the tomatoes until soft.
- Drain and puree in a blender or food processor.
- Return the tomatoes to the sauce pan along with the chicken broth, chopped green chilis, minced onion, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch / water mixture and stir well.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and reduced to 4-5 cups, then another 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and add hot sauce if you want a little more heat.
FOR GREEN CHILI AND GRILLED CHICKEN ENCHILADAS:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken until just cooked through, 4-5 minutes a side for boneless chicken breasts.
- Cool and then slice into thin strips or shred.
- In a small skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium high heat until very hot.
- Dip the edge of a tortilla into the oil to check, it should sizzle immediately.
- Using tongs, put a tortilla into the pan and cook until soft and lightly brown on each side, about 15-20 seconds per side (at the most).
- Then drain on paper towels.
- Add oil as needed and continue until all 12 tortillas are done (I skipped this part since i made my own tortilla at the same time).
- Instead of stacking the tortillas, I rolled them so it'll fit in my baking dish.
- Pour half of the green chili sauce in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Reserve half for topping.
- I made 8 tortillas, so i divided the grilled chicken and half of the cheeses into 8 portions.
- Lay tortilla wrap on a work surface, put chicken and grated cheese.
- Roll and put on the baking dish with sauce seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- When done, pour the other half of the sauce over the top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese becomes bubbly. SERVE HOT!
Please drop by the Daring Kitchen to see other Daring Cooks’ delicious Green Chile Enchiladas
♥ Thanks for reading..have a nice day! ♥