This is a quick and easy recipe, you can whip it up in a few minutes, pop it in the oven and in half an hour you’ll have delicious cake ready for dessert or afternoon snack for your family…and there’s more: If you will notice, this is not a regular chocolate cake, I used whole wheat flour and bananas plus some chia seeds which makes it better nutritionally. 😉
The recipe only makes an 8-inch square cake, perfect for a small family like mine to enjoy over the weekend.
Happy Baking!! ü
Whole wheat chocolate banana Cake
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Dutch cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds optional
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup fresh milk
- 1/4 cup canola or corn oil
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 hot water
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate grated or finely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee powder optional
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and chia seeds if using. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with ganache.
- Ganache: Put grated chocolate and coffee powder if using in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat cream in a saucepan just until it begins to boil, immediately pour heated cream to the chocolate. Stir until smooth. Cool a bit then pour on top of cooled cake.